Dual Reactors

nikkipigtails

I know there are a ton of builds with reactors already so I'm just going to add to the list.

I'm building a dual reactor where one will hold carbon and the other will hold ferric oxide.

We're using a maxijet to take water from the return section of our sump through the reactors and it will be put out into our fuge (mostly because that's the only way the equipment will fit). Our Lowe's doesn't carry any pvc smaller than 3/4" so we had to convert everything to 1/2" cpvc to we could attach the maxijet.

The media will be placed in pantyhose.

The joints over the sump won't be glued so they can be taken off and the reactor easily pulled out.

Parts list:
3" pvc
1" pvc
1/2" stick of cpvc
(2) 3" x 3" x 1 1/2" - T
(2) 3" x 3" x 1 1/2" - Y
(3) 1 1/2" x 1" bushing
(2) 3" x 4" closet flange
(2) 3" dwv fitting with cleanout adaptor
(1) 1 1/2" x 3/4" bushing
(1) 3/4" pvc x cpvc converter
(1) 3/4" x 1/2" cpvc bushing
(4) 1/2" cpvc 90's
(5) 1" pvc 90's
(1) 1" ball valve with union

It's not glued yet so some of the angles are a little funky but here's a picture:

xlggt5.jpg

In an effort to slow the water flow down inside the reactors, we have "Y" fittings at the top so that the water will have to flow up. We also have a union ball valve connecting the two reactors to slow down the flow if we need to or disconnect the two.

Last edited:

nikkipigtails

So, the 1/2" cpvc comes in at the bottom of the first reactor. The water flows up through the media and out through the top.

The reactors are joined with 1" pvc and a 1" union ball valve which joins the second reactor at the bottom.

The water flows in through the bottom of the second reactor and up through that reactor then out through 1" pvc into our fuge.

fatman

Has been struck by the ban stick
A simple light dimmer (rheostat switch) can control the maxi-jet speed, however you might need to start the pump at near full speed and then reduce the speed to your desired speed/flow rate. But as they will start on a soft start timer they might start with a rheostat switch turned quite low.

nikkipigtails

Thanks, we're going to keep it as it is. The ball valve will also slow the flow of water by causing it to back up in the first reactor if we need to slow the flow at all. The maxijet is going to have to push water up a pretty good way before it can get into the reactor anyway.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Cool! :)
For the top screw cap i would use liquid teflon instead of tape. A 4" hole is hard to tape off and is prone to leaks.
Looks good Pigtails. I'll keep an eye on this one :)

nikkipigtails

Thanks Frankie! I don't know if we'll have to use any at all. The Y is far enough down from the cap that the water level shouldn't even get up that high, especially if the flow is low.

nikkipigtails

ha ha ha ha!!! My neighbor just came over and saw the reactors sitting on the living room floor...he thought we were building a bong!

funkpolice

how often do you think you will have to change the carbon and what does ferrous oxide do? Is it rust? I think it looks like a pretty good setup, and I might employ it myself. 6 more days till baby time!
bill

nikkipigtails

ferrous oxide is phosban.

I don't know how often I'll have to change the media. I've never used a reactor before. Everything else I've used has been in the form of cartridges that I changed out with monthly water changes. I shouldn't have to run the ferric oxide for long...just long enough to help with my HA problem.

Good luck with the baby. 6 more days till she's due or is she being induced?

Last edited:

fatman

Has been struck by the ban stick
Phosphate is bound to ferric hydroxide. The length of time between changes is totally dependent on initial concentrations of phosphate in your water. This depends on your feeding habits and your input water qualities in general. Typically phosphate is controlled by mixed reef and fish only people as a method of controlling nuisance algae growth, and by corals keepers as to much phosphate inhibits coral growth, but then there is the fact that nearly all organisms need some phosphates. So we try to limit not eliminate phosphates. Carbon does probably 90 percent of what it is going to do in the way of adsorption within 24 to 48 hours after its introduction, after that it does little but provide a medium for bacteriological filtration.

Last edited: