Doug's RSM 250

NJ Reefer

PREMIUM
Well I finally pulled the trigger! I've been considering installing Steve's LEDs for quite some time, especially after some many good reviews on this forum. Just placed the order tonight - I can't wait!

Anyone with Steve's LEDs controlled by an Apex that has any tips for me, would be greatly appreciated.

NJ Reefer

PREMIUM
So it's done. Took me a little longer than I wanted to make this post, but work has been getting in the way. I completed the install of Steve's drop in LED's. The process was simple, with some minor challenges along the way. Really, the biggest issue for me, as it always is, is remembering which screw goes where when you separate the hood. (Was it really necessary to use different size screws?). Only other challenges were hooking up the ACI to the Apex cords, which was only difficult because of the very small gauge of the Apex wires. This was easily solved with some connector pins, which made the connection more stable. And my last issue was with the used Apex VDM I purchased from someone on another forum, which of course didn't work. It took me a little time to figure out he voltage in the VDM was significantly higher than it should have been, which didn't allow the LEDs to fully shut off, or to dim. Fortunately, I discovered that the Apex main unit has two variable speed ports, identical to the VDM unit, which gives me full functionality of the LEDs.

So enough the difficulties! I am so pleased with these lights. First of all, other than the VDM and Apex cable issues, which are not an issue with Steve's LEDs, the installation was quite easy. I would say it took me about two hours, but only because I thouroughly cleaned the inside of the hood during the install, and I also removed the T5's without cutting anything, so that they could be salvaged for a friend, or for another tank.

The lights look fantastic! I only have the brightness up to 33% after a week, and I will gradually increase them 1% per day as instructed. The corals look super happy, and appear to acclimating nicely. I really like the shimmer effect, as well as the sunrise and sunset feature. Programming on the Apex is very easy with the Fusion Wizard. Also, what a relief to get rid of those noisy stock fans. The tank is so much quieter than it was before!

Here are a few pictures to start:IMG_6218.jpg

IMG_6221.jpg

IMG_6223.jpg

IMG_6225.jpg

IMG_6226.jpg

And lastly, I wanted to thank Jeff @StevesLEDs for the terrific customer service. What a pleasure to deal with a company that stays so close to their customers and provide all the necessary advice and assistance along the way!