Don't throw that Red Sea wavemaker out.

bllfish

My Red Sea Wavemaker Pro quit working after six years. I had 2 mj 1200's and 2 koralia #1 on it. I had just checked out the selling forum and about to make a deal when I decided to take the wavemaster apart. There was a blown fuse inside. I called Red Sea and they told me to try Radio Shack for a 8A.20mm fuse and if they did not have them to call back. I went to Radio Shack and they did not have that fuse. They told me to try the internet and look for an 8 amp, 250 volt, 5X20mm fuse. I decided to buy a pack of the highest amp fuse they had hoping it would work for a while, till I got the right fuse. I bought RS part #270-1068 which is a 6.3 amp, 250 volt fuse. It has been working for three days now.
Glad my curiosity forced me to open the wavemaker up.

MrPex

Just FYI in case the fuse blows again and you can't get a manufacturer recommended replacement next time:

Just be sure you don't put a HIGHER current fuse in than 8 amps. Putting one in lower is safe, but you may blow the fuse prematurely (but just doing a ballpark figure on what those pumps are probably pulling, that 6.3 amp fuse should be fine.)

Conversely, putting in a higher voltage fuse than what it's rated for isn't unsafe, but you'll actually get lower voltage to the motors than what they're supposed to get which could be detrimental to their service lifetimes.

BUT if you get a few more years out of it for only a couple of bucks, I say it's worth it!

bllfish

Thanks for the additional info. I figure for $3.00 (4 fuses) I will hold off on spending $160 for a new one.