Do you really need a chiller - 250

h45e

Hey guys, basically my money pit is starting to run out because I only got this casual job atm. So I have to put my purchases in order. I will be getting a chiller but I may not be able to get it when I start up a new tank (have a 37L atm). Anyhow, because of this do you really need a chiller to help run the 250? And unfortunately Perth temps in summer can get up to 40 degrees.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Just a guess... from reading lots of post... but unless you get a new / improved 250 pump, you might need the chiller... seems most do...

I wish that was not the case, I don't have a chiller on my 130D & I am hoping one day the 250's won't "have too" have one too...

h45e

The good news, if you can call it that is that here in Australia we got the 250 at least a good 6 months after the ppl in USA.. so hopefully with our version they have included the new pumps.

tnwillia

It really depends on how your tank is reacting.

Mine had Temp swings of 5 to 6 deg druring the day then dropped over night. This was due to both lights and the skimmer pump running hot. I tried the provided dual fan on the left chamber and it helped knock things down a couple of degrees but the tank really did a big swing over night unless I turned it off every night. I was even proping my hood up a couple of inches during the day while I was at work. Again it helped a little but not enough. In my tank there was no middle ground found. The chiller was my only option.

If your not seeing the temp problems then let it ride if you can untill you have to or can get a chiller. You just need to think hard about the livestock/coral you will keep if your fighting temp stability. Good Luck which ever way you go!

yycguy

Well I set my 250 up at the end of summer so things were cooling off outdoors, also my home has A/C, but I run the 250 with the cooling fans on continously and my temp is steady at 77-78 no swings outside of that.

pocketreef

Yes, you need to find a way to better control colling and heating.

It's 5C outside:snow:, 22C inside and I dont need a chiller during the winter but I will need during summer when It's 30 inside. I keep the fans on all the time and as the stock heater is bad :bmcflme: I'm now picking a temp controller.

I managed to live last summer with the tank cycling, so no big deal, max temp at 29.5C but I decided I will pick a chiller before May2010 and finally set maximum variation of 1 degree celcius.

I wish I could say stock is all you need, but...

hallie

33C in Melbourne yesterday. Left the aircon on while I was at work. When I got home room was at 18C tank at 25C.

34C today left the aircon off, room at 26C tank at 27.5-28.

Both days the cooling fans were on with the front flap open.

I live on the ground floor in a 3 floor complex so my place stays reasonably cool.

When it heats up I'm going to have to either run the aircon 24/7 or get a chiller.Going to me cheaper to get the chiller I reckon.

If you are in a house you are going to need a chiller or use aircon all the time.

Cheers

Tim

mbdave

Its possible to not have a chiller with air con and some proper light timing "lights on in the evenings" but chillers are a great thing to have.

Melbourne Bitter "Good Beer"
Dave

h45e

I thought I let you guys know, I bought myself a Hailea HC-150A 1/10hp Chiller Marine Aquarium to 400L . Was $350 AUD

h45e

For summer, prolly not.. for winter yes.

I thought because this supports up to 400L that it wouldnt turn on much?

Nowellsy SNR

Hi i would say yes befor i had the chiller temp swings where out off control my tank was some days allmost hitting 29 degress not good but with the chiller stays at a steady temp and the peice off mind is there....