Do you like my scape?

i just finished aquascaping my 55 gallon tank and just wanted to see if people like it. For the rock most of it is coral skeletons that my parents bought a really long time ago down in Florida.
IMG_0626.jpg

left side
IMG_0627.jpg

right side
IMG_0628.jpg

reefer4200

It looks great so far, just gotta cure the rock. Maybe try taking the branching piece on the right side and turning it upside down, be cool to see fish swimming through the "holes".

And what kind of tank will this be?

This tank is going to be a reef with just some very colorful soft corals and some easy to grow LPS since i am still in high school i don't want to be overwhelmed with to much stuff. The rocks have been cured.
And thanks for the advice and comments.

Luukosian

Doesn't look like there will be many good placements for coral, you might want to look at getting more surface area for attachment, trust me, once you start getting coral in there space runs out quick. More open spaces for fish to swim through would definetly give it a better aesethetic too. Just some constructive criticism cause right now it just looks like a pile of rocks. I kind of set mine up like that too and wish I had done some more interesting formations. :)

Look at that link above, and just google pictures of reef tanks and you will get inspiration, I know I did. Not trying to be mean so don't hate me, reefs are always evolving and what one person likes isn't always what another does.

thanks for the advice im always open for advice and i will change the rocks around and post more pics to see if anybody likes it.

yungreefer2410

only because you asked. no i do not like the scape. IMO too many just piles of rock, not really any caves or acrhes, some of the pieces are too big. they look kinda of like they were just put in there

brucewrs

Make sure you keep the rocks away from the glass.Its a pain to clean when they are close.Also you better off stacking them higher so water flow gets in between.You should be able to see the back wall thru the rocks.Water flow is a must in a reef tank..You dont want to collect alot of junk in between the rocks...Good luck..

tattoodfreaks

I'm not one to judge, but it just seems crowded. When you start adding coral it's going to get even more crowded. It's taken me at least 5 trys before I decided on my scape.

reefsurf

hey great start! i agree with most ppl here and their great advice stemming from experience.
here's a few things i like to keep in mind;

1. if you're doing a mixed reef (corals and fish) then make it both coral and fish friendly by...
2. allowing plenty of swimming room while providing hiding areas such as caves and crevices.....fish like to "hide" themselves from others even if it's just going behind a pillar.
3. provide ample areas for coral placement and their growth. it's one thing to place frags or colonies on ledges or outcroppings but with the proper lighting and water quality your corals will grow!
4. allow water flow to be able to circulate around the perimeter of the glass as well as through caves and under ledges. this decreases the amount of detritus buildup and further issues with nitrates.
5. don't forget that this is a reef for your fishes, the corals, and also YOU! so it's an extension of your personality as well as a means to be creative. HAVE FUN! HAVE FUN, and HAVE FUN! there's plenty of people in this hobby that get very very technical and serious which is ok. but i say to always have fun while providing a great habitat for your corals and fish and this hobby will pay more dividends than any wall street stock ever could!

good luck and keep posting pics!

I don't know how many lb of LR, but it is a standard 55 gallon tank. I enjoyed the rock work thread it was very informative..

Basile

I don't know how many lb of LR, but it is a standard 55 gallon tank. I enjoyed the rock work thread it was very informative..

Like i said its much better, but i think you might have too much rocks. Remember you'll be adding to it soo, with corals and frags. I don't want to be a know it all, and antagonise you, just an observation, you may not need that much and make more room for yous futur corals . It will lighten the look of it a bit . defenitly keep those branchlike rock they're awsome.:flower:

sambrinar

I have to agree with Bastile. I would take out the stick looking ones and move the LR over otherwise I like it. Caves and holes are very important. My fish love them