Do I have enough room for sump?

I have my 55 gal tank sitting on a dresser. I can take out all the drawers and put a piece of plywood at the bottom to set my sump on. It isn't a very high dresser. I only got total 24"tall 15"deep 48"wide. I don't have a skimmer yet, but most of the skimmers I have been looking at online for my 55gal tank are about 16-20" tall. That will leave me with only 4 inches to remove the collection cup and put my plumping. I was thinking about putting a 20gal tank sump below, but most 20gal tanks are 12" high. That will leave me with only 12" from the top of the sumptank to the ceiling inside dresser.

Do I have enough room to store a sump or will I have to build a tank stand?

Thanks in advanced!

corrado007

Really depends on skimmer you end up with. As long as there is enough room for the collection cup to be removed then you should be good. The skimmer would likely be the tallest thing in there. Also you may want a lamp down there if you make a fuge but that'd be easy enough to fit also. I'd think you will be able to make it work.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
you can... it will be tight, you won't enjoy it and dressers arn't really built to take the weight of a tank, build a stand you know you wanna lol

chaynes73

you can... it will be tight, you won't enjoy it and dressers arn't really built to take the weight of a tank, build a stand you know you wanna lol

Depends on the dresser. I have French Country dresser that is so heavy it takes 4 strong men to move and then it's still not easy. I have a 55g on it without fear. Now if it was a partical board dresser from a department store these days, i'd say proceed with caution. I can't take out the drawers on mine cause my clothes are in it, but if I did there would be room for a sump. An alternative would be a tall barrel sump off to the side, or a tall kitchen trashcan shaped tank, like a 22 Column tank.