Discovery Cove in Orlando

Has anyone been? I just got back from a week vacation to Disney and we went to Discovery Cove one day. For those of you who don't know what it is, it's a new park (not a Disney park) in Orlando. You have to make reservations to go since they only let 1,000 people in at one time, and it's kind of pricey, but the cost includes a continental breakfast, lunch, snorkeling gear, free drinks (yes alcoholic drinks are included), free snacks (pretzels, chips, etc.), sunscreen and rental of wetsuits. Oh yeah, and 3 complimentary photos of you and your family.

Anyway, we added a dolphin swim to our package (which was absolutely awesome). They also have a snorkeling pool where you can swim with HUGE stingrays and a number of fish (many that are seen in your fish tank - only MUCH bigger). They also have sharks and barracuda (behind glass of course). Anyway...we had a wonderful time, it was a life changing experience and I recommend it to anyone!:thumbup:

Boozeman...I do have pics, but I have to wait for my sister to send me them on disks (or email a few). We only had 1 underwater camera between us. I'll post them as soon as I get them.

iluvzigz

PREMIUM
Nice glad to see some good feedback from that place ..we've been thinking of going .Cant wait to see the flicks!!

lcstorc

I went there about 5 years ago. It was a great experience, but I have to say the dolphin swim was a bit disappointing. Perhaps I am spoiled from my swim with dolphins in Cancun. The swim at Discovery Cove was just too short and seemed to be a way for them to get you to buy their very expensive pictures since you are not allowed to bring your camera into the dolphin tank.
In Cancun we got 45 minutes in the water with the dolphin and only 5 people and 2 trainers with 2 dolphin. Half of that time was "playtime" where you just swam around and played with them.
The day in general was fabulous. Very relaxing and everything was high class. They really take care of you there.
All that said, i would go back anytime but would probably skip the dolphin swim as much as I enjoy swimming with them.
i want to try the one in Key West or the Bahamas next time. I have heard both of those are great.

Lynn...I agree that the dolphin swim was probably not the best offered. My sister actually was able to be picked up by a dolphin and thrown when she swam with them in Jamaica (which I'm sure was awesome). We only had 2 trainers at Discovery Cove and the party we had consisted of 6 people, so it may have changed since you've been there. We were in the water for 40 minutes too. But there wasn't as much interaction as I would have liked. We basically got to touch it, kiss it, swim with it holding on to its dorsal and side fin, etc. Not enough swimming in my opinion, but still so worth it!

Here’s some pics from the snorkeling:
P8310005RS.jpg

P8310084RS.jpg

P8310104RS.jpg

lcstorc

Great pics.
Also while I was a bit disappointed w/the dolphin swim don't misunderstand. Even at the price they charge I would go back. It was a great day in general. I loved the snorkel tank and the lazy river complete w/aviary where you could get out and see the birds up close. Many we got to feed and there were plenty of staff there to explain etc. Then get back in the river and float some more.
It was probably the most relaxing day I have ever had.
Not sure if I would do the dolphin swim next time, but the cove in general I would gladly repeat.
Of course I paid more for a hot air baloon ride that was just and hour or two. At least at Discovery Cove I got a complete day including food and other essentials.