Difference Between Frogspawn and Hammer

jcgardner

I am wondering what the difference is between the frogspawn and the hammer coral? I have been wanting to get a frogspawn for a while now and I have finally decided to purchase one, but I can get a great deal on a Hammer coral. So just curious what the differences are between them.

Thanks,
Charise

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
They are "Cousins".

FrogSpawn has more of a "Dotted" tip with several tips on each "tentacle" where-as Hammer has a more elongated tip (looks like a hammer or anchor and is often called anchor coral) with only one tip per tentacle.

Hammer Coral Pics
IMG_0088.jpg

IMG_0275.jpg

FrogSpawn pic
IMG_0183.jpg

and here is one where both are present in same picture
(Froggie on left Hammer on right)
IMG_0090.jpg

Sorry the pics aren't best quality as photography isn't one of my strong points...

Jess

Cool thread, I've always wondered the same thing. Thanks Al for the clarification!

And good morning!

DrHank

Yes indeed. And how about Crescent and Torch? Always thought I'd like a Torch. Haven't gotten one yet. Got to love those Euphies but here's a better picture.

Tank81309002.jpg

I like my hammer to the right of my Froggy too Big AL.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Doc I like my Torch pretty good but for some reason not as well as I like my Froggie and Hammer.

Here is my Torch a long time ago *up really close*
torch1.jpg

and here it is recently *only actinics*
IMG_6818.jpg

I do know that the STING I get from the torch is more than from the Froggie or Hammer.

jcgardner

Thank you so much. I am at work right now so I can't see the pictures. I will look at them when I get home.

DrHank

Yep, I've heard the same thing about the torch. I'd like to have one but I'm running out of safe room. Talk about sweepers, don't short change Galaxy or the humble looking Favites. My Favite zapped my birds nest to the point I had to frag the birds nest. Fortunately I caught it quickly and changed the location of the Favite. I sold the frags and it made up for what I paid for the colony.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
As yes the infamous "Sweepers".

I was shocked at just how LONG they can be. One of my froggies zapped a chalice that was at least 7" away. Made a nice semi-circle zapping (and bleaching) anything it could touch.

All the "Euphies" we've mentioned here can live together (I've got all three living and even TOUCHING each other) but they don't always play well with others in the tank.

BobBursek

BA, you know what the commercial sez "if after 4 hours, if still large, seek medical attention" I just call another lady friend to come over. LOL I have both, Hammer and BT, I have had to move a SPS away from a BT do to chemical warfare, the SPS was loosing.