Dev52's RSM 250 Log

dev52

Hello everyone,

As it seems to be everyone's recommendation I'm starting my own tank thread to chart my progress through my RSM 250 journey. This will obviously be a great help as I'm very new and inexperienced with the hobby. I was drawn to the RSM as an AIO system despite its flaws - the fewer the components I have to research and source the easier it will be on my brain and wallet. I'd rather focus on how to take care of what's in the tank than outside of the tank the majority of the time :)

Anyway so far I have a used 2yo RSM 250 for $700 that came with the following as extras:

Tunze 3155 ATO
Phosban Reactor 150

However it was missing the following:

Circulation Pump #2
Stock tubing for the circulation pumps

So that's where I stand, I just ordered a RO/DI unit this morning from Aquasafe (a Canadian Company) which makes it easier shipping wise.

First question I'd like to ask if anyone's available is should I order a RSM 250 stock replacement for pump #2 or upgrade it to something else?

Cheers

dev

Mark9

Has been struck by the ban stick
First question I'd like to ask if anyone's available is should I order a replacement RSM 250 stock replacement for pump #2 or upgrade it to something else?

If it was me, i'd upgrade to something like the
EHEIM Compact+ Pump 2000 or 3000.
It fits and is flow adjustable in case you want to add a chiller.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Thanks for starting a tank thread, looking forward to seeing some pics. Mark is spot on with that recommendation, those are the pumps I have in my RSM250.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I have always ran stock RSM 250D... with great success.

I always tell everyone... running stock for a few months & see what you think, along with getting to know your (new to you) RSM tank. Then start upgrades if you think they are needed.

But having said this... it's our hobby and there no "right" answer here... if you want to upgrade something... go for it.

Me I would run stock & save up for a Vortech MP10 or an MP40 :dance:

after 5 post, you can add pics ;)

dev52

Good point Glenn, I may just stick to stock because I don't think I'll need a chiller in my colder climate. But that does lead me to another question - why are vortech mp40s sooooo expensive? :hammerhea

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
They are expensive... I run an MP10 around $235 and I waited a year before I added one - imo, they are quality & do have a controller, but are expensive...

I have lots of soft corals & lps corals - my MP10 is all my tank needs, and I often don't run it full speed very often

rated at 1,575 gallons of flow per hour

where. your...Red Sea Max 250 Replacement Circulation Pump #2.

320 Gallons per hour

Big Pete

hi Dev52

normally Mark is spot on in his assessments, god knows he has helped me a few times, but i would go with sicce pumps but only due to bad experience with Ehiem pumps during my freshwater days.

Marc no offence meant my friend

cheers

Big Pete

Mark9

Has been struck by the ban stick
hi Dev52

normally Mark is spot on in his assessments, god knows he has helped me a few times, but i would go with sicce pumps but only due to bad experience with Ehiem pumps during my freshwater days.

Marc no offence meant my friend

cheers

Big Pete

None taken.
All i know is my Eheim is way better than my noisy mag drive.
Never had a Sicce, but I have heard they are nice and quiet.

dev52

Thanks very much for the advice gents. I am going to order a stock replacement. I've contacted Red Sea and they are also going to send me a replacement door for the power centre. The hinges are snapped off so it just falls out when I open it. Red Sea seems to have some really good customer service.

mike1970

Thanks, these look like a nice alternative, more features than the WP's I've seen on ebay and YouTube.

i run a RW-8 in my rsm-250 it seems to work good. i never had a MP-10 so i couldn't tell you the difference between them. i'm thinking of getting a RW-4 for the other side to make clownnado :rolleyes:

dev52

Well Red Sea messed up my replacement order and only shipped my 2/4 items I asked for. My emails have since been ignored. Oh well...

Anyway I've turned to ordering from InTank to get the remaining replacement parts, including the Sicce pump #2.

Tank is still empty but have been doing loads of research in the meantime. Going to follow leebca's "the Mature Aquarium" guide that I found in this forum in starting up my tank.

I plan to have two separate rock islands with a channel in between. The smaller will be LPS dominant to get some experience with corals, then when comfortable and when the tank is more mature I will stock the larger mound with SPS.

As for livestock I was thinking:

1 spotted fox face
1 Tomini Tang
2 clownfish (mated pair)
1 blenny (starry or lawnmower)
1 dottyback (orchid or bicolor)

I plan to use the balling method for dosing - Fauna Marin is available at my LFS. Found a nice jebao quad pump on ebay, and the seller also has some jebao rw-8's at a good price (free shipping doesn't hurt either).

Anyone here use aquatic log? That's an awesome website! I downloaded the app and was hoping to use the forum signature function but this forum doesn't allow img or urls in the signatures. Too bad :(