Dendrophyllia sp care and tips

hi there, i'm interested in getting one of these..

not sure what kind of name is it referred to but in my country, its called super sun and its a type of Dendrophyllia sp or balanophyllia sp. Not sure about the name but it looks similar to sun coral but just that it has transparent with a little orange color on its tentacles..

any tips on how to maintain a healthy specimen of these babies? i know they are non-photosynthetic.. so it must be fed.. any tips or advice is appreciatable.. thanks..!!

Snelly40

beautiful coral, my LFS has some right now, 225 for 2 heads!!!
i have heard that they are good corals, just need to be fed, mysis and cyclopeeze is always good

Snelly40, lol.. thanks for the offer but i'm from malaysia.. i wish i was in US cos i heard there are lots of amazing corals over there...

yea, they are indeed beautiful corals.. still asking advice around before i get one of them for myself!

fatman

Has been struck by the ban stick

not sure what kind of name is it referred to but in my country, its called super sun and its a type of Dendrophyllia sp or balanophyllia sp. Not sure about the name but it looks similar to sun coral but just that it has transparent with a little orange color on its tentacles..

any tips on how to maintain a healthy specimen of these babies? i know they are non-photosynthetic.. so it must be fed.. any tips or advice is appreciatable.. thanks..!!

There are a few good photos and a little information here at this link. The photos ought to at least allow you to place the name. Do you know how to culture phytoplankton or surely you an buy bottled phytoplankton over there. They do best with a consant inflow of phytoplankton and small zooplankton, but most people just target feed them using a funnel made of a large soda bottle. They are pretty equivalent to keeping/feeding sun corals. They are cheaper over seas than in the U.S.. I see them in European advertisements for around 19 euros, or about $36.50 U.S. dollars per head.

Dendrophylliidae

There are a few good photos and a little information here at this link. The photos ought to at least allow you to place the name. Do you know how to culture phytoplankton or surely you an buy bottled phytoplankton over there. They do best with a consant inflow of phytoplankton and small zooplankton, but most people just target feed them using a funnel made of a large soda bottle. They are pretty equivalent to keeping/feeding sun corals. They are cheaper over seas than in the U.S.. I see them in European advertisements for around 19 euros, or about $36.50 U.S. dollars per head.

Dendrophylliidae

thanks fatman for the link.. yea, its getting cheaper over here in malaysia by the day as more reefers are getting into this super sun craze.. super sun and rhyzos are the craze here at the moment.. lol... ok, will take note of your advice.. thanks for everything again..

roes marine world (sponsor) has a great price on them as well.

I just picked up some from a LFS that stocked up for macna and got a monster piece with 15 heads, some as big as a quarter.

If anyone is going to Macna, i know you wont be able to miss them...Ill give you a hint...look around the Ecotech booth...they are close.

i have probably 4 different morphs so far (def one of my favorite corals) and ive found shade-low light to be best, and plenty of flow. Mine get hammered by a vortech pump at full tilt on reef crest mode. Needless to say, they are getting as much as anything else in that tank. Ive had several polyps for over 2 years without a problem.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
....nd plenty of flow. Mine get hammered by a vortech pump at full tilt on reef crest mode. Needless to say, they are getting as much as anything else in that tank. Ive had several polyps for over 2 years without a problem.

I think this is VERY key to their long term success. Keep in mind that in the wild they live solely off of what they capture from the water column and they tend to populate high current areas. This way there is a nearly constant supply of food for them to "Dine On". It's like when I go to a buffet I sit very close to the actual Buffet so I get "First Pickings" when something fresh/new comes out. :lurk:

just get one of these bad boys...MAN do i wish i could get some of the more colorful varieties Ive seen out there. AngusWu on RC has one thats about 5 different colors...

These aren't the greatest pics, but i was evaluating the best light and flow for them before I put them in place.

rhyzo-preview.jpg

rhyzo-preview-2.jpg

This one actually has some wicked cool greenish yellow tips on the tentacles under actinics only....Oh, yeah it ate one of my baby clowns too...

here is a couple under actinic

DSC_1824.jpg

DSC_1825.jpg

Feed all your dendro/rhyzos mysis shrimp of larger...they love the big chow. Plus, being so much larger than they would normally get in the wild, it can sustain their appetite for several days instead of only a few hours...which is nice.

fatman

Has been struck by the ban stick
Bad thing about it though is either the suppliers or the retailers, or both, are really putting it to us price wise, as even figuring for the Euro exchange rate the European reefers are still paying only 1/3 of what we are paying for them.

Do we need to feed them everyday or like once in a week? As i only have a small tank, feeding everyday will greatly affect the water quality..

They need to be fed meaty foods atleast 2x a week IMHO.

You can do less, but keep an eye on their base flesh. If they arent getting enough it will start to recede.

ok.. will take note of that.. Smokin Reefs, the coral pictures u posted are called rhyzos aren't they? they are a type of dendrophyllia, they are very expensive over at my country.. lol..