deflated anemone

SpitFyre

Our anemone looks deflated sometimes. What does that mean? Its a hatian pink tip. Also, will any clowns play in it? Whats the best kind for clowns?

lcstorc

Anemones often deflate and inflate without us knowing the reason.
Different types of clowns pair up with different kinds of anempne but the Condys (What you have) rarely pair up. They are from the atlantic and clowns are from the pacific. Occasionally they do.
Even with a hosting anemone there is no guarantee. Sometimes they just don't pair up or it can take months or even years for them to recognize each other.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Good morning and welcome to RS "neighbor". I'm on the OTHER side of those there mountains! Waynesville, NC (Center of the Universe).

I'm curious. How long have you had this one?

How long has the tank been set up and running?

cbrownfish

When anemones are inflated they are filled with water. When they deflate, they expel water. Anemones will periodically do a complete "water change" of sorts but it is also a sign of stress IME. More common with Condy's than the BTA species. However, I will say that it is more often a sign of stress than a completely normal process IMO. With newly acquired specimens, sometimes it is just an adjustment period as they acclimate to new set up.

SpitFyre

We've only had this anemone for about 3 days. :) Hes a new addition. We had another one for about two weeks, but he got sucked up into the filter...now we have nets over the filters.
The tank has been set up since the last week of March.
Also, had bought a piece of live rock that had some sort of anemone on it. The people at the fish store told us it was a pest anemone. It didn't take long for that one to become about seven. Then one morning they were all gone, no cloudy water and no sign of them. Havent seen them since. We were having calcium and nitrate issues...could that have had something to do with their disappearence? If they all died, why didn't the water turn cloudy?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
We've only had this anemone for about 3 days. :) Hes a new addition. We had another one for about two weeks, but he got sucked up into the filter...now we have nets over the filters.
The tank has been set up since the last week of March.
Also, had bought a piece of live rock that had some sort of anemone on it. The people at the fish store told us it was a pest anemone. It didn't take long for that one to become about seven. Then one morning they were all gone, no cloudy water and no sign of them. Havent seen them since. We were having calcium and nitrate issues...could that have had something to do with their disappearence? If they all died, why didn't the water turn cloudy?

Ok I went back and read some of your other posts and have a little better idea of where we are.

Slow down guys... seriously! I don't mean that harsh but you're pushing things WAY to quickly. You may want to seriously evaluate yours LFS because up to this point they are doing you NO favors. As a very general idea you don't want to even consider an anemone until:

A) Tank has been STABLE for MONTHS. I'm not saying "set up for 6 months" but stable. Cascading water parameters will cause you so many problems and until the tank is stable long term you're spitting in the wind.

B) you have the appropriate lights for the type of anemone

C) you research the anemone before the buy​

If you can take the current anemone back while it's still healthy or semi-healthy.

If they wont take it back try to "loan it out" to another reefer with a tank that's able to accept it and never EVER go back to that LFS again.

My suspicion is that your biological filtration isn't mature yet and we need to get back to basics. Give us a current list of:

1. Today's test results
  2. Current stocking
  3. what your water source is
  4. how much and how often do you do water changes
  5. what type of lights do you have
  6. How large is the tank
  7. how much live rock and live sand

SpitFyre

Thank you for the advice. There are 3 LFS that we go to, but in my opinion, it dosen't seem they know what they are talking about. Different people in each store will tell us different things, so we never know whats right and whats wrong...
Now, to answer your questions:
1. ph - 8
nitrate - 20
calcium - 400
phosphate - 0
2. 1 tomato clown (who is in the QT tank right now), 2 percula clowns, 1 damsel (also in QT with the tomato for fighting), 1 horseshoe crab, 1 red spotted hawk, 1 diamond back goby, 1 scooter blenny, 2 shrimp (peppermint shrimp i think), about 7 snails, about 5 tiny hermits, the anemone, and two sponges that came on live rock.
3. Its tap water, but it's from a spring. We let the water set up in a 32 gallon trash can w/ salt & calicum added. Keep a heater and power head in it.
4. At least once a week, sometimes more. About 30 gallons at a time.
5. 4 ft florescent, 2 bulbs - 1 coral life actinc f40 t12 bp & 1 plant/aquarium f 40 pl aq wide spect. we got the coral life from a fish store, and the other we already had.
6. 125 gallon, 6ft long
7. about 20 pounds of live rock (we try to add live rock every week, is that okay?) and 60 pounds of live sand.

The nitrates we are always fighting. Any tips for that? Is it okay to keep adding snails/hermits? We're going to hold off on buying any other fish or anemones.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Thank you for the advice. There are 3 LFS that we go to, but in my opinion, it dosen't seem they know what they are talking about. Different people in each store will tell us different things, so we never know whats right and whats wrong...

That's all to common. Some stores just don't KNOW the right things to suggest and some DO but they make more money giving BAD advice. Hard to sort through all the CRAP to get the good stuff. If you get to the Asheville are there is "The Asheville Aquarium" be sure to check them out. GREAT store!!

1. ph - 8
nitrate - 20 Slipping up there but NOT critical yet
calcium - 400
phosphate - 0
2. 1 tomato clown (who is in the QT tank right now), 2 percula clowns, 1 damsel (also in QT with the tomato for fighting), 1 horseshoe crab, 1 red spotted hawk, 1 diamond back goby, 1 scooter blenny, 2 shrimp (peppermint shrimp i think), about 7 snails, about 5 tiny hermits, the anemone, and two sponges that came on live rock.
3. Its tap water, but it's from a spring. We let the water set up in a 32 gallon trash can w/ salt & calicum added. Keep a heater and power head in it. Tap Water from a sprint CAN still have contaminants and minerals that your REEF tank can't tolerate. RO/DI water is HIGHLY suggested for long term success.
4. At least once a week, sometimes more. About 30 gallons at a time.
5. 4 ft florescent, 2 bulbs - 1 coral life actinc f40 t12 bp & 1 plant/aquarium f 40 pl aq wide spect. we got the coral life from a fish store, and the other we already had. Here is a major problem. Those lights aren't for Reef Tanks at all. They are "T12" and very low in "intensity". You'll want to research Reef Lighting (T5 with Individual Reflectors or Metal Halide if you want anemone)

6. 125 gallon, 6ft long
7. about 20 pounds of live rock (we try to add live rock every week, is that okay?) and 60 pounds of live sand. As you already realize you're WAY low on Live Rock. Until you have sufficient amount your tank's BIOLOGICAL Filtration is going to be lacking.

The nitrates we are always fighting. Any tips for that? Is it okay to keep adding snails/hermits? We're going to hold off on buying any other fish or anemones. Heavy Water changes are your key to lowering Nitrates but it's going to be a HUGE battle until you have enough established Live Rock. that's a HUGE part of your filtration system.

DrHank

If you don't mind I'll add a comment here. Big Al is very tactfully saying that your tank may be too new and not ready for any anemone.

I completely agree with him. Most anemones are very sensitive and demand pristine water conditions. Your tank should have very stable (never changing) water parameters. Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate should ideally have tested at zero every month for 6 months. Nitrates at 10 is totally unacceptable.

Slow way down and read, research and ask questions. The folks here will help all they can.

l3fty999

If you don't mind I'll add a comment here. Big Al is very tactfully saying that your tank may be too new and not ready for any anemone.

I completely agree with him. Most anemones are very sensitive and demand pristine water conditions. Your tank should have very stable (never changing) water parameters. Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate should ideally have tested at zero every month for 6 months. Nitrates at 10 is totally unacceptable.

Slow way down and read, research and ask questions. The folks here will help all they can.

Even if you have good filtration, I wouldn't mind seeing you do the algae filter thing to control the nitrates. I do it and it works, and I also dose small amounts of vodka.... very tricky, and you REALLY need to RESEARCH this very good. Do a search on vodka dosing (not for everyone) and the algae filter and I think you would benefit from it...

Take care
Aaron