Dead Heater! Boooo.

icedgxe

So my one of my 500w azoo titaniums decided to start tripping my gfi today. So that being said I am going to by all new heaters. I am going to also buy a ranco dual stage controller to plug them in to. These are the options I am looking at...

3- 250watt Ebo jager. 2 on Ranco in the sump the garage, 1 on rkl inside overflow.
2-Blueline 500w Titaniums on ranco (or comparable titanium without built in thermostat).
Right now I am leaning towards the ebo jager as I have heard such great things about them. What does everyone think?

DaveK

How big a system are we talking about?

You mention the sump in the garage. Is this a heated space?

Ebo Jager does make good aquarium heaters, but I think I'd lean toward the titanium heaters, if they are quality ones.

Yes, using a controller is a lot more reliable compared to the cheep thermostats in your typical aquarium grade heater.

Normally I'm not a fan of using multiple heaters that are aquarium grade, since it's tough to set them so they come on and go off more or less together. However, since you plan to use a controller, and plug all the heater into that, you don't have an issue.

Without knowing the size of your system, it's not possible to determine if the wattage is correct.

icedgxe

Size of the system is a 125g display. 75g sump(about 30g of water) and 20g fuge in non heated garage. The two azoos were doing fine holding up to the needs but it seems hard to find a reliable titanium heater. I have no experience with the blueline and it is hard to find reviews on them. I have heard great things about the ebo's. Finnex tit. I have heard good and bad. I am looking for the better of the bunch.

Schwa

I would look at the new JBJ ones that bulk reef supply has they are supposed to be awesome and typically if Bulk Reef Supply has it then it is decent stuff. With your water volume i would think that 2 300s would be sufficient . I just bought a catalina 500 watter a few months ago and I am on the third one in that amount of time. JUNK!!! So dont even look at those. The JBJ's are a tube with an independant controller that you plug them into like a finex. I will be going with them myself when it starts getting cold again they are pricey but typically you get what you pay for with the exception of the stealth line. I had one of those almost kill me.

DaveK

... but it seems hard to find a reliable titanium heater...

This is very true, when you look at aquarium grade products. To get top quality, you need to look at industrial grade products. Here is one company to consider (offsite) - Industrial Process Heat Equipment; Glo-Quartz®

Years ago I got a 500w titanium heater from them, and it worked for many years, until I completely rebuilt my system. As I recall, they are not cheep, but not over the top.