Dave's RSM 500

David Shaw

Here's an update ..

I bought 3 filter socks yesterday, and i have fitted it over the down pipe in the back of the sump.

As a result, i have re-figured where i place things. I now have the sock on the down pipe with 2 little bags of purigen floating around inside the sock which works very well. I have removed the reticulated foam and put the carbon and more purigen in the media tray with the chiller return pouring water into it.

I figured reticulated foam and a filter sock was overkill.

The nitrates are down to zero consistently now by just using Purigen and Carbon. Still struggling with keeping the Alk up, it's gone up from 5 to 6 and i am adding buffer daily and making sure the Mg and Ca is at the right levels also. Be so happy when i can get the Alk up to 8 !

Just did my weekly 20% water change and cleaned the entire tank so it's looking nice and clean, even scrubbed the back wall. As the skimmer gate and the plastic ring where the little water return nozzles fit cant be removed, it's hard to keep those coralline free, but am doing my best! Shame these cant be removed for dipping to get them spotless.

Shan

Dave, im a little confused about something. The gray tubing that attaches to the ourput of the skimmer cup, what do you do with that? I just now attached mine. I thought maybe the black cap that attached to the cup, also attached to the end of the hose, but thats seems to leak? How do you have that? thanks

David Shaw

I dont have that grey tubing. In the newer shipments it gets supplied now. It fits on the end of the skimmer output then feeds back and over the sponges. I just have the plastic clear tube that i point to the left chamber.

Shan

Oh sorry im speaking of a different tube. I am asking about the very small tube that drains the skimmer cup

modulok

I think that's for an external scum collection cup. I have mine setup that way it is much easier to dump the waste. One of those fish containers they use at petco work very well. Just hang it over the sump (in case it overfills) and empty as necessary.

jeffrey

David Shaw

I would't want skimmed waste re-entering the sump. Quite happy to just lift out the skimmer collection cup and clean once a week as part of the maintenance routine.

modulok

2173.jpeg

This is what I was trying to explain. Hope it helps.

David Shaw

Ah right, that makes sense. I still would rather remove the skimmer cup itself though as the neck needs cleaning once a week anyhow.

modulok

Yeah, I still clean the cup every water change. But now I am trying to get away with once every 2-3 weeks with about an 18 gallon change. Still have not seen any nitrates in months, and phosphates are coming down to a good level.

The external cup was very helpful in the beginning. I had many overflowed cups, and even at one point the top of the skimmer cup had blown off due to the water pressure.

David Shaw

I guess it's about tweaking things and finding out what works best for you. The sock(s) i bought seem like a worthy addition and really help filter small particles.

I am currently tweaking the water flow through the chiller. Too high and i guess the water passes through too quickly to chill thoroughly and too slow and there is air coming out along with the water. I have tried to set it somewhere between the two. Otherwise the water takes too long to cool in the tank.

My temps run from 25.5 - 26 over night and then 26 - 27 daytimes when the lights come one. The chiller is set to 26 and kicks in when it hits 27. If i set it for the default of 25 then the chiller is on a lot due to the heat of the lights. I figure a window of 26-27 is about right.

This reefing lark is expensive and time consuming :)

modulok

David, have you swapped out the stock bulbs yet? I am looking into doing that soon. Mine will be six months at the end of October, and for me, the stock lights are too white during the day time when all 10 are on.

Premium Aquatics has HexArc bulbs for about $10 each, thinking to try them out for 1/2 price of Giesemann or ATI.

legazya

The tube in the picture isn't going back to the sump, as it is closed with a cap of a tire vale. Shoddy trick, but works.