Damsels species

rustybeers

I have recently added 2 new variety of damsels to my 120 reef tank. I am just interested if anyone else has had experience with having 3-4 different spices of damsels in a reef together? I have added 3 beau Gregory, 1 Rolland, and have 1 green chromis. Would like to add another species of damsel (so much personality) any suggestions?

Its a big tank, they are very territorial and agressive though. Different species, might have some better luck with. I had 2 of the same species in a 75 and one almost killed the other. So I would deffinately hope you have a lot of rock for territory. And I would not add anymore damsels into your tank if these are already situated. If you do, redo your rockwork Best of luck.

rustybeers

Thank you. Other than the chromis the other 4 are new as of a week ago. So I guess that adding 2 more of another species is not going to happen. Is there any other suggestions of what I could add with these guys as well as an arc eye hawk.

DaveK

If all you want is damsels, then you can add quite a few to your tank, but as pointed out they can get very aggressive and are almost impossible to remove except by removing all the live rock first. Some damsels are extremely colorful and most species will eat just about anything, and most are comparatively inexpensive so they do have some redeeming qualities.

You could add more, but think carefully. What are your long range plans for the tank? Are they really what you want?

misselle27

I actually have 3 different species that were once in a 16 gallon and they were mean when I added a new one but after a day or two they got along. they were in there for like 8mos. I just now upgraded to a 30gal.