D.I units

Curtswearing

BTW---I have tasted my RO/DI water. I didn't like it so I washed it down with some DT's phytoplankton.

I make my RO/DI water and store it in a plastic trash can. I kept getting phosphate readings and I couldn't figure out how. Your article is an excellent explanation of how I was getting them. They didn't go away until I switched trash cans.

Aquatic Cat

I think the general idea is from what they said was not to drink it.

It is allright to use di water for mixing salt which adds back the minerals and reionizes the water but not good for drinking it.

Thats the drift of it {i think} even though it has not a thing to do with reefing,the article that is.

Curtswearing

Even though I have had a drink of RO/DI water it was because I was curious. I don't recommend it.

As far as the trash can issue is concerned it is important that it is labeled as food safe. I switched to a rubbermaid trash can and that stopped the leaching.

EDIT---<<Rubbermaid Container>>

pista01

Originally posted by Curtswearing
BTW---I have tasted my RO/DI water. I didn't like it so I washed it down with some DT's phytoplankton.

This should go under the heading "Real Reefers ..." :)

It's late, not thinking too straight
:explode:

J

jupiter

Fantastic link. We had the maintenance guy at work telling a few others huddled in the lunch room that our USP grade water was toxic to drink. He had heard this from the Tech Ops head (head of all chemistry). I laughed. I told the guy, "Water is water". He said, "No it will suck the minerals out of you." LOL. As I proceded to explain how and why this was not possible, he said, "So you know more than a doctor now?" I said, "This is basic biology and chemistry". I brought it up to the other members of my team (all chemists) and they laughed. We all agreed DI and RO water isn't necessarily the best water to use as your staple but it ain't gonna kill you to drink.

Just an added bit of info: if your TDS is inline, throw a pinch of aquarium salt into your reservoir to "re-ionize" the water. This slows it from sucking goodies out of the air and container.

Bleeding stomach ... :laughroll