cycling with shrimp

Snelly40

hey guys... this will be my first time cycling a brand new tank since i started and back then, about 10 years ago, i used damsel fish... i know i know... bad bad bad....

so as i'll be using shrimp i have a question or two. I have a 90g DT and a 30g sump... i will have my sand and live rock and lights and heater going and no skimmer running.

About how many shimp should i use... 3? 4 ? 5? i have heard the smell isnt bad because i'll have my pumps and everything going... hope not of gf might kill me....

also, how long do i leave them in? until they are all gone? until the ammonia, nitrites and trates are all 0? or will those coincide? I'll add them in some pantyhose or something... thanks guys and any otehr tips are welcome:)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
No one right way... but what I have always done, was use one or two (I would do two 90 gal), mush them up just a bit, drop them in & just let them rot. They will be gone in a couple weeks...
The ammonia should rise & then fall to zero, as the nitrites rise, then fall to zero as the nitrates climb - once the ammonia & nitrites are zero - do water changes to reduce the nitrates.
depending on the state of your LR, this will happen in something like 2-6 weeks

Tank cycled :)

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Back in the day (some 20 years ago!) I cycled my tank with Damsels too.
It's what the LFS told everyone to do....
I'm glad we know a better way now.
Patience is key to success in the beginning.
Watching an empty tank isn't very exciting tho.
Very BEST WISHES Snelly!!

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Yes, 2 regular shrimp in a knee high is the way to go! let them totally dissolve over time. and keep the lighting to a minimum until you get your CUC in the tank!