cyano bacteria why now?

rufus2008

I have an established (5 year) mixed reef. Had cyano problems way back when in the beginning, but not for years. And now its coming again. The only thing thats changed is my lighting, I upgraded to three evergrow d120's that I have set at blues 75% and whites 50%. My parameters are ammonia zero, nitrite zero, nitrate 1ppm, phosphate 0.05ppm (all tests done with seachem). Any ideas? Its a mixed reef and for flow I have 2 jebao wp40's and my skimmer is a deltec mce 500. Thanks in advance.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Our tanks reach a "Balance" over time and any change (even small ones) can upset this balance. It's very common to see certain "blooms/outbreaks" when adding lights, changing light type or even just replacing old bulbs. The change tilted the balance in favor of the cyano

rufus2008

Another possibility is the use of air fresheners or candles?

Really that can contribute to cyano? How about household cleaners in a spray bottle not aerosol like windex multi surface? This wasn't used on the tank but was house cleaning the room where the tank is. The tank also has a full hood. And I use ro water I forgot to mention that in my opening post.

reefer gladness

IMO it's the lighting, I'm not too keen on the LED configuration those lights use and you don't have the ability to control colors separately. Red LED's are great for growing algae and they're tied to the same channel as the whites.