Cuttlefish Eggs!!

JandR

woohoo! how mature are the eggs?

not exactly sure... I know they are from 2 diffrent clutches but believe they are around 2 weeks old which doesnt really determin when they will hatch since every egg is different due to heat and such.

I just got them all acclimated. 2 are in my boyfriends tank and 3 in mine. We saw that all 5 eggs have cuttles inside but we have only seen 2 move so still dunno if they all made the move. I am uploading pics to photobucket right now!!

JandR

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_0047.jpg

Sorry the pics are not that great but my camera skills are very poor lol. But hopefully you will enjoy!

One of the cuttles that we saw move doesnt even have a yolk sac attached so I think he will hatch first but I am hoping he is ok after put him in the breeder box I could see in to the egg then it all went black and he had inked in there. I know cephs can kill themselves in a bag when they ink but dunno about the egg. I honestly didnt even know they inked in the egg.

Will get pics of the other two eggs tomorrow... Boyfriend already turned his lights out for the night.

JandR

Incredible pics, keep em coming. What temp are you keeping the 2 separate batches at?

We keep both of our tanks at 78ish. They are not one of the "coldwater" cephs thank goodness.

I keep wanting to peek in at them with the flashlight but I have to contain my self. My boyfriend says he is already tired of me worrying lol. The one that inked is moving again, well his head was throbbing... But still have not seen movement in the others, but they are still very young because they have a big yolk sac attached still.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Thanks for the pictures. That's interesting that they have the ability to ink inside the egg.

JandR

Yes they are sepia bandensis. Right now I have them in a floating breeder net, which they will stay in for at least a month. We have several so we can seperate them if needed. I have a 40 breeder and a 55 That thye can go in. I will start cycling again with one of those when theyhatch. If all 5 hatch I am not sure what to do about tanks lol. I was hoping for just 2 though. If for some reason tey all do which would be awesome I hav decided to tear down my reef and put those fish in the other tank and let them have the 75 gal.

It is still a work in progress, as I am prepared with the tanks just none have water in them since the last time I had eggs. LOL. DOnt want to set up one of them and then end up needing a bigger one.

Any ways sorry for sucha long drawn out answer lol.

Kingumar

wow i just went through your thread and found it very interesting. Ill keep following it.
I am very interested in keep them, didnt know they could be kept in captivity. Does anyone have a cuttlefish dedicated tank on here? How hard are they to keep? Are they as sensitive as seahorses?

Yes i will do tons of research before taking my first step but wanted o know the basics.

JandR

wow i just went through your thread and found it very interesting. Ill keep following it.
I am very interested in keep them, didnt know they could be kept in captivity. Does anyone have a cuttlefish dedicated tank on here? How hard are they to keep? Are they as sensitive as seahorses?

Yes i will do tons of research before taking my first step but wanted o know the basics.

Do you know anythng about keeping cephlepods at all? They are almost just like an octopus except they dont try to escape lol. They cant handle copper, ammonia, nitrites and such. Once they are older and get fed every day they seem to be pretty hardy from what I have read. If you have anymore questions let me know, I have done tons of research but no actuall first hand expirence ={ But I'll do the best I can.

JandR

Ok took some new pics and I am really excited how they came out!! It was like he knew I was taking him pic and he wanted to pose for me lol!!:bouncer:

IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

you can see 2 in this pic:
IMG_0056.jpg

these are the ones in my boyfriend's tank... I couldnt get a good angle to get close enough to get a better pic...
IMG_0058.jpg

Its crazy how all the eggs look different, I already know which one is which even when the flow movesthe eggs around hehe.

steved13

PREMIUM
Very cool!!! I'm following along, please keep posting and updating, it's really appreciated.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
The pics were fantastic. I have a good feeling these eggs will give you some results this time!

zigginit

i would not take the reef tank down to house them though, unless your reef tank just sucks and you want to. these dont get to big and they can live in groups i think, unless this kind if different. a 55 would be fine i think. and they say they live about a year so why do all that for something that is so short lived. most reef tanks have been going a lot longer then that.