Current-USA Outer Orbit Lamp Replacement Time?

Mister Chips

Last July I added one of these babies to my Red Sea Max. (Love it):
Current-USA Outer Orbit, 1x150Watt MH, 2x24W T5 HO 420, 2x24W T5 HO 460, 6 blue/6 white LED

A year has gone by so I am thinking it's time for new lamps? Any lamp upgrade suggestions?

Thanks!

Mavjoy

I have the 250w one and still using the stock MH bulb. Lots of people are using the 14k Phoenix bulb. Check my sig for the T5's.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I just replaced my T5s not long ago. I think it was about 16 months or more on my lamps - too long. I started with the stock 10K halide, then switched to a 20k and then to a 14k - I think I like the 14k best, but might just go back to a 20K. Overall I think the 14k looks best, but sometimes I miss the bluer 20k. The 10k was too yellow to suit me.

Mavjoy - I'll have to try your T5 combo next time. How do you like it versus the stock 460/420 combination - see much difference?

Mister Chips

I just replaced my T5s not long ago. I think it was about 16 months or more on my lamps - too long. I started with the stock 10K halide, then switched to a 20k and then to a 14k - I think I like the 14k best, but might just go back to a 20K. Overall I think the 14k looks best, but sometimes I miss the bluer 20k. The 10k was too yellow to suit me.

Mavjoy - I'll have to try your T5 combo next time. How do you like it versus the stock 460/420 combination - see much difference?

I also am not too happy with the 'stock 10k' yellow color.
What do the numbers mean? 10k, 14k, 20k? Does the higher number produce more heat?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Thde higher numbers are bluer. I don't know about the heat, but I doubt there's much if any difference.

I have the 150 - 96w PC version. I also didnt like the 10k, so I switched it for the 14k, current HQi bulb and I really like it alot. I get great growth with it, yet it is not super blue. I'll let the Actinics take care of that aspect for me!

Mavjoy

I never had the stock T5s to compare it with. Got the lighs with the upgraded bulbs. The stock 10k looks too yellow for me and will upgrade to a 14k after I'm done acclimating my halide.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I also am not too happy with the 'stock 10k' yellow color.
What do the numbers mean? 10k, 14k, 20k? Does the higher number produce more heat?

First off let me say the following reply is merely my "interpretation" of what I've experienced and read and learned while in this hobby.

To my knowledge the "K" rating does not affect the actual temperature (physical temp) of the bulb, fixture or the tank.

the "K" rating is sometimes called "Bulb Temp" but that's not what it means... at least not to us. What it means is the actual color a black body radiator will give off at the precise temp. The lower the "K" the more yellow (at least in our talks here) and the higher the more blue or even white (again just for our talks).

10K is considered a decent compromise between growth and color. 6500K is considered the best GROWTH (at least in the broadest range of coral) but it's very yellow and for some even bordering a reddish hue. When you get above 10K you start seeing more blues and when you get up into the 14K and 20K you'll see a LOT of blues. I personally LOVE 14K and higher. Keep in mind that a 14K from one bulb manufacturer may look significantly different than from another company.

I personally have started using and LOVE the new AquaMaxx brand bulbs. I'm running 14K and they do appear to be similar in color (that which is perceived by my eyes) to 20K from other companies. If I were buying new bulbs right now I would again buy 14K AquaMaxx bulbs.

For a short "primer" on Kelvin in terms of "Color" try this link and look under the section "Color Temperature".
Kelvin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Allen - good info. on the AquaMaxx lamps. I'll have to try one.
I think you'll be happy if you like the BLUE end of the spectrum. I've had mine about 6 months and would do the same thing again today. They aren't cheap by any means but they are SWEET! Rumor is it that the guys who started AquaMaxx were with Phoenix (also a GREAT bulb) and left to start their own company.

Nice post Al !
Thanks. I get lucky now and then :)

Mister Chips

First off let me say the following reply is merely my "interpretation" of what I've experienced and read and learned while in this hobby.

To my knowledge the "K" rating does not affect the actual temperature (physical temp) of the bulb, fixture or the tank.

the "K" rating is sometimes called "Bulb Temp" but that's not what it means... at least not to us. What it means is the actual color a black body radiator will give off at the precise temp. The lower the "K" the more yellow (at least in our talks here) and the higher the more blue or even white (again just for our talks).

10K is considered a decent compromise between growth and color. 6500K is considered the best GROWTH (at least in the broadest range of coral) but it's very yellow and for some even bordering a reddish hue. When you get above 10K you start seeing more blues and when you get up into the 14K and 20K you'll see a LOT of blues. I personally LOVE 14K and higher. Keep in mind that a 14K from one bulb manufacturer may look significantly different than from another company.

I personally have started using and LOVE the new AquaMaxx brand bulbs. I'm running 14K and they do appear to be similar in color (that which is perceived by my eyes) to 20K from other companies. If I were buying new bulbs right now I would again buy 14K AquaMaxx bulbs.

For a short "primer" on Kelvin in terms of "Color" try this link and look under the section "Color Temperature".
Kelvin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Great info Al. Thanks!!!