Curious Clown Conundrum?

Slickcg33

Well besides from the silly name of this thread, my clowns are doing something very peculiar.
The female clarkie ive had for over a year and she has a new male thats been in the tank perhaps for 2 months. At first she beat him up and i thought he was going to die, but that phase passed and they are buddies. She still picks at him every once and a while but they do sleep together.

So thats their background, Lets get to the weird behaviour.
In the past couple of days my clowns have been viciously attacking the rock work above their anemone cove. its always been there and they havent done it in the past. But they both position themselves with mouth against the rock, and then attack it for a couple seconds and stop. This behavior goes off and on throughout the day and night but happens frequently enough were i see it occurring. It appears the the male starts and the female follows, sometimes after attacking it they will do their little submission flicker/shake towards each other.

The female has alway cleared out a deep hole in the sand Under the anems. Im not quite sure why she is messing with the rock work above now. is this part of their ritual or are they just stupid thinking this rock work is a new intruder in their home?

BarbMazz

Could be this is breeding behavior, and they're cleaning the rock in preparation to lay eggs?

Sure that very well could be, as with many freshwater fish, like Largemouth bass, they clear out an area in the sand/river/lake bed to lay eggs, or some fish clean rocks to prepare as well.

Slickcg33

Could be this is breeding behavior, and they're cleaning the rock in preparation to lay eggs?

i like that idea, very good. However i figured they would of layed the eggs on the tank bottom, she cleared so much sand down there its only glass left. But i guess they are free to change their minds lol.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
Sounds like normal breeding behavior to me. Clowns are notorious for digging in sand although they don't lay eggs there. They also clean rock to prepare it