Culligan Water

PootyTang

So I've decided to start using Culligan water for my tank and I was wondering if there is chlorine in the water? Should I be treating the water or letting it sit overnight to evaporate the chlorine?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I don't have a clue what Culligan water is to you may be better off trying to contact the Culligan company.

Keep in mind that Chloramine (I think this is correct or whatever is being used more often now....) does NOT gas-off like Chlorine does. You'll have to use an RO/DI unit it an additive to bind the Chloramine to remove it from the water.

l3fty999

I used to work for one of Culligan's competitors, (I wish I had THEIR ro unit!)and the only additive we put in the water was ozone. If it's just plain water, not spring water, etc. you should be ok, but contact them anyway just to be sure. They should tell you what's in there, especially if you tell them what it's for. Also, be sure to ask if it's ro water or just filtered.

Aaron

We used Culligan water where I worked. In the lab, Culligan actually set up a DI filter to filter the tap water, but they filled production's water tank monthly with water straight from Culligan. It must be pretty pure stuff because it was added into chemicals that could be used for pharmaceuticals, etc. Culligan probably offers differing grades of water. Some less pure and some more pure. And the more pure, the more expensive it will be.

PootyTang

well, I contacted Culligan and (after being transfered 4 times and hearing that its chlorine free a few times on the "hold" voice track), the person there told me that there is no chlorine or chloramine in the water, good news!

When you get the water, I would still use a chlorine test and test the fresh water. Always test your source water before you use it. You don't have to test it each time for chlorine, but test it occassionally before you add any salt to make sure Culligan is giving you what they say they are.