Crushed Coral or Sand

sonicfish

Right now i am switching my crush coral to sand the reasons why i am doing this is because they say it traps nuitrints which then relates to phosphates and nitrates and i was wondering if that is correct and will this help. Then this is a rookie question but how what you do a water change in the sand?

DAHansen

And in order not to suck the sand out :) get the siphon close, even get it lightly into the sand, then pull it back before you suck too much into the siphon.

I almost always end up sucking out a little sand, but never enough to worry me. If you find that you can't help but suck up a lot of sand, try a smaller siphon for slower flow.

PEMfish

A siphon with a pipe larger than tube at the end will not suck up sand if the size difference is great enough.

RNicorvo

Sonic Fish - I just went through this all process myself. I have a 14g and had to change the crushed coral for the same reasons you have.

I batched up about 5 gal of salt water - using RO/DI of course. And washed the new sand with approximately 3 gals of salt water. Emptied approx 1 1/2 gallons and moved the lr to one side of the tank. Created a small scoop that was square and flat on the bottom, not rounded ; and scooped all the coral from 1/2 of the tank. Added the sand slowly, not to cause a sand storm. Then completed a wc 1 1/2 gallons. Waited 4 days and completed the other side of the tank.

Fishes and corals faired pretty well.

I don't know how big your tank is, but I hope this helps.

Varga

Sand for sure. are you thinking "sand storm" after a WC? you get a little of that. Thats one of the reasons you need a sump :)

Or you can introduce the new water using an airtube.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Man, you guys are still cleaning the sand beds? I thought that was what sand sifters were for ;)
Honestly, I never touch my 4" sand bed. The sand sifters like the star and a few snails do a fine job. I do all of my water changes through the sump.

lcstorc

I do my water changes from the top half of the tank. I do stir the sand a bit before the change to get any detrius suspended. Mostly my nassarius and gobys or jawfish keep things turned over and pretty clean.