Creating a Reef RO / DI Water System….

DanSReef

So I am tired of paying the LFS for Pre-Mix Salt ($1.60 per gallon) and Fresh RO/DI water ($1.00 per gallon)… at roughly 20-30 gals of usage a week…getting water from them is eating away at money I could be spending on frags and fish…. :smack: … So I am creating a new RO / DI System here at my house. I would love to get some insights from everyone as I plan and build my new system.

Here is my plan:

I have not yet purchased a RO /DI system but am looking at an RD150 Aquarium 100 gallon per day RO + 2DI system from Filter Direct… Filter Direct Online Store (C) . I can build a system with all of the components (Float Valve, Tap, High Volume DI and TDS monitor) that I am looking for at a reasonable price….~$210.00… If anyone has experience with Filter Direct or has any other suggestions on systems… please let me know.

I am setting up a series of two 45 gallon Rubbermaid black trashcans with flip lids connected in series with white PVC pipe and a series of ball valves to allow me to fill both cans simultaneously and also to isolate one can for salt mix and the other for RO/DI fresh water. I am going to install all of the above in my basement near my furnace and water heaters on a slightly elevated platform made or 2x4’s and plywood. This gives good access to a water source, a floor drain and somewhat constant temperature. By elevating off the floor I can use gravity to feed water from either tank into transport jugs. I also plan on installing an aquarium heater and circulation pump in each of the cans.

This system will not only support my two reef systems but also my neighbor who has a 90 gal reef and is as addicted as I am to the hobby.

So, any thoughts, ideas and suggestions as I continue to tweak my design and plan to build out the system next weekend? Of course, I will share costs and pictures as the project progresses. Right now I am estimating a total cost of materials / system of roughly $300 with potential payback 4-5 weeks worth of premix…between the two of us…

DaveK

What you plan sounds good to me.

I did look at the RO/DI unit you plan on getting. Personally I prefer a mechanical filter that will filter smaller than 5 microns, but you can change that when you replace it the first time.

I would recommend the optional manual flush valve.

The DI section is different from most units, but I do like how they are refillable.

One of the nice things about RO/DI units is that you can customize them after the fact with out any major problems.

DanSReef

Thanks DaveK.... I forgot the manual flush option.

I went out at purchased some lumber for the platform and the trashcans, white pipe, bulkheads and ball valves. Total cost was $78 from the local Home Depot. I am going to start that part of the project sometime in the next few days. I will also be ordering the RO/DI unit today or tomorrow while they have free shipping.

More to come....along with pictures.

Anyone else out there have ideas, suggestions ....etc.

DanSReef

Well….it has been a few weeks since I updated this thread. Truth be told after loosing our BSJF and our Powder Brown Tang…..I have been babying the other inhabitants of the tank. Marine ICH is a PIA…..

Anyway, here is my finished RO/DI water system.

Components:
• 2 - 45 Gal Trashcans
• PVC White Pipe, Fittings and Valves
• 2x4 and 1x4 frame stand
• 6 Stage RO/DI filter with Float Valve, TDS Monitor, Manual Flush, Pressure Gauge.....
• Refractometer
• Fresh Water Tap

Total Cost ~ $375

4977081459_f29867cd36_b.jpg

I am getting about ~80 Gal/day with a 55 psi water pressure. TDS water input is 306 and output is 000.

Tank #1 on the left is for Fresh Water for mixing and Top Off…. Washing the Car…. :smoking: … Tank #2 on the right is for Salt Mix. Both tanks can be connected, isolated, drawn from in series or independently. I have added a spare water pump and heater along with digital thermometer and mixed my first batch of salt this morning. 1.025 at 78 degrees….. perfect. As things settle, I am going to do a series of test on the water to check the Brightwell NeoMarine Reef Mix…. Then small water change tomorrow in my 72 bow….to get the tank accustomed to the new salt formula.

This system seems to be a little overkill to even me. 72 gal bow front with 20 gal sump… 29 gal Oceanic Cube… so total 121 gals of salt… I do have a 30 gal fresh…. But with the number of trips to and from a LFS for premix or fresh... this is going to pay itself off in cost and convenience to me in a heartbeat. To make things even better, my next door neighbor has a 90 gal reef. So… between the two of us we will put this to good use.

I would recommend to anyone who has the room, a patient wife…and an addiction to reefing. Hmmm…with all of this ….. I may need to start up a frag tank!!!! :snrkl: