crab, spider or what?

dltt

This guy is very reclusive and thus far has been impossible to photograph, he hitchhiked in on a mushroom coral I got the other day. He almost looks like a cross between a starfish, crab and spider. With outstretched legs he is almost the diameter of a nickel, and appears to have pincers positioned like a crab, but his legs are more like a star fish. He is brown with a little green in color, and pretty much stays in the holes of this coral. He looks awfully small to be damaging now, but was wondering about him. He really does not fit the description of any of the photos I have in my invert id books. I know it is near impossible without photos to id, but anyone have ideas?

tnwillia

I doubt yours is here, the only thing I found with legs that looks even close to a star is Pic 93 of a Spiber Crab. There are some great pictures in here regardless. Your right, we really need a clear picture. Good luck!

Crab Stock Photo Pictures

dltt

Tnwilla, thanks a million. You are johny on the spot with good info! It looks most like a boxer crab, but pretty vanilla in coloring. Just kind of a drab brown. The one that looks most like him is Image: 24M0444-24. Now I gotta look and see if or how destructive this little guy is. Thanks All!!

dltt

cheeks69....that was my initial thought...a sally light foot. But the legs on this critter dont seem that "jointed". Looks almost like the arms of starfish.