crab id

morrowss

Anyone know what this is? It is huge almost the the size of my fist with very fat claws.It must have been in my tank for over a year.Also if its bad any ideas on getting it out? Its way in the back bottom and the tank has a ton of live rock that i cant really move around
crabl.jpg

morrowss

Ok...i've been doing some googling and i believe it's a floral egg crab of singapore, listed as a vulnerable species under the red list of singapore..also says highly poisonous to eat...what should i do besides not eating it? It is listed as a vegetarian and I haven't lost any livestock...

l3fty999

Ok...i've been doing some googling and i believe it's a floral egg crab of singapore, listed as a vulnerable species under the red list of singapore..also says highly poisonous to eat...what should i do besides not eating it? It is listed as a vegetarian and I haven't lost any livestock...

Well, if it is in fact endangered, I'd hold on to it if you haven't lost any livestock. I know people will tell you that most crabs will sooner or later eat something you want to keep since they are "opportunistic feeders", but it sounds like you may have something special there.

Aaron

morrowss

I always feed my tanks alot during the day and I feed bigger chunks at night..many serpent stars,brittle stars,2 big purple lobsters and want to make sure everyone is ok...i guess since hes been in there so long and nothing yet i might keep him, just creeped me out when i saw him today..he's big

morrowss

The only problem is trying to catch it...Its big so i dont know if i could set a trap the opening would have to be at least 4"...and moving the live rock where it is cant really be done without totally messing up the tank...i do think it needs out of the main display...i'll have to work on it and i'll post some pics if i can get him.
I would certainly agree with that... it may also, depending on how it's set up, offer a better chance of observing/showing off your crab. In the end, everybody would be happy.

Aaron