Couple Questions?

trent6868

Hello,

I am new to this tank, i have had saltwater in the past and it was never this difficult.

My tank has been set up for 3mths and i just stared getting the brown alage two weeks ago. It has now begun to slightly turn to purple and pink, there are little pockets in the live sand they look like water pockets or clear sacks of i have no idea? also worm like creatures "yellow/white" coming up from the bottom and making lines in the sand?

I have the following questions:

1.) what are the white specks on glass in picture?
2.) what are the pockets in sand?
3.) Is the Alage turning from brown to purple/pink a good thing?

Attachments

• White Specks on Glass.jpg
    White Specks on Glass.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 129

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Hello,

I am new to this tank, i have had saltwater in the past and it was never this difficult.

My tank has been set up for 3mths and i just stared getting the brown alage two weeks ago. It has now begun to slightly turn to purple and pink, there are little pockets in the live sand they look like water pockets or clear sacks of i have no idea? also worm like creatures "yellow/white" coming up from the bottom and making lines in the sand?
At 3 months you're just now getting into the "GOOD" stuff. :)

1.) what are the white specks on glass in picture? Most likely Hydoirds or more correctly the "jelly fish" stage of a hydroid"
medium.jpg

2.) what are the pockets in sand? Could be an algae, a bacteria or several other things. Pictures are needed badly.
3.) Is the Alage turning from brown to purple/pink a good thing?It really depends on why it's turning and more importantly WHAT is turning. Again pictures are badly needed.

trent6868

Thank you i will take more pictures of the sand and alage this evening and repost, also should i continue to clean these "hydroids off the front of the tank they just float around and then stick right back to the front...

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I never have really bothered with them much. They're usually eventually gobbled up by something in the tank. I clean my glass every few days and don't worry about them otherwise :)

trent6868

Added Pics of Alagee and pockets

Here are the pics of the Alagee that turned from brown to purple and the pockets in the live sand which i have no idea what they are????

I would like to know if the brown alagee turned purple is a good or bad thing and what in the world the pockets are in the live sand?

I have also discovered copepods are crawling everywhere and hydroids are also covering the glass... this is only after 2-1/2 to 3mths...

readings:

PH=8.1
NO3=15
NO2=0PPM
AMMONIA=0PPM

Attachments

• Brown Alagee before it turned purple 4-12-10.jpg
    Brown Alagee before it turned purple 4-12-10.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 124
  • More Unknown Pockets in sand 4-20-10.jpg
    More Unknown Pockets in sand 4-20-10.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 124
  • To Purple from Brown 4-20-10.jpg
    To Purple from Brown 4-20-10.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 123
  • Unknown Pockets in Live Sand 4-20-10.jpg
    Unknown Pockets in Live Sand 4-20-10.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 123
  • Alagee turned purple 2  4-20-10.jpg
    Alagee turned purple 2 4-20-10.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 123
It's normal, in my experience, for those pockets to appear in the sand. The algae in the picture looks like cyanobacteria. If it is, it will be slimy to the touch and come off in small sheets. If you aren't running carbon, you may notice a bacterial odor. In a new tank it usually clears up on its own and is part of the algae cycle.

trent6868

If this is Cyano, Should i get rid or will it go away?

If this is in fact Cyanobacteria should i get rid of it or will it go away as part of the cycle?

It should go away as part of the cycle if you wait patiently, and that means no adding animals until it's gone. It does not like good water movement, so it's a good idea to make sure you have enough turbulence and have eliminated dead zones. Trouble spots tend to be corners and behind live rock.

trent6868

Thank you for all your help, as you see i have circled the spots where the alagee is forming these are obviously my dead zones. i was going to add some snails to eat the alagee but i guess thats not a good idea. The Puffer is doing fine and i have had no problems i hope i dont have any due to this bloom...

Attachments

• Full Tank view 4-20-10.JPG
    Full Tank view 4-20-10.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 111
The cyano won't make the fish or inverts sick, not to worry. I've never known snails to eat it. I'd recommend waiting until it goes away before you add more livestock.

trent6868

Thank You, I have had some of the rock since 2005 but i go to numerous LFS and if i see a piece of rock i cannot do without then i buy it. i just boutht another piece over the weekend and re organized the whole formation. I will post later today.

u can also use a small diameter tubing, i use 3/8 id tube, for water changes and suck the cyno off the surface. it grows back but it will be gone alot faster i believe.

fellers

u can also use a small diameter tubing, i use 3/8 id tube, for water changes and suck the cyno off the surface. it grows back but it will be gone alot faster i believe.

I would highly reccomend doing this very thoroughly. I battled a cyano outbreak that got very bad and out of control. Keep up on your water changes. When u siphon it out dont let pieces settle on the substrate and and stay there. Get it all. I was using well water and that was my major contributing factor. Plus insufficient skimming.
I got a RO/DI unit overhauled my tank and finally it is all under control and looking good.
Keep up on it and you can get ahead of it.