Couple of ??'s

jaw88

I have a question or two about my tank.I havent really done any water changes since i got it up and running,but my water seems to evaporate pretty quick. Like i fill it back up when it starts gettin low,but within 3-4 days its getting low again, and i have my heater set at 76 or 77 degrees F but my thermometer only ever reads 70,any advice about these two things would be helpful thanks!

tnwillia

Welcome to RS! Not to put you off but we need a lot more info about your tank (pictures really help too) to even start to answer your questions. Others will jump in here. Good luck!

jaw88

I just joined this forum,and i already have a couple questions for u about my tank. First of all,i have my submersible heater set at 76 degrees F but for some reason my thermometer only ever reads 70,any ideas why this is? And secondly,my water evaporates pretty quickly it seems. I put water in and fill it up,and 3-4 days later its down about an inch or two from where i fill it,any help here? Anything would be helpful, thank you.

woolfe

Is your heater strong enough for your tank?

That ammount of evaporation is normal. You should top off your tank with RO every day. I actually have to use a humidifier in the winter just to slow the evaporation down a little. I still use about 7 gallons a week just topping off my tanks.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
Yes, it does evaporate. My 90 does about 1.5 gallons a day. That's why many of us use ATO systems. Certainly not a necessity.

As far as the heater; if it is strong enough and not on all the time, the thermostat on the heater may be off. Not uncommon - one reason to have have a thermometer as well.

jaw88

My heater says it is for fifty five gallons,so id think it would be strong enough,how can u tell? Would my lid not being on be a cause of it maybe? Im glad its normal,but my tank is still cycling,so do i still need to do water changes? or can i just add more when the water level goes down? sorry for asking so many questions lol i just wanna get it taken care of before i actually get any livestock for it. I noticed after a couple days of my tank running that i have two baby starfishes in there already that hitchhiked with my rock :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
jaww88 Hello :wave: and welcome to RS :)

KUDOS to you for researching and asking questions! You, your tank and your wallet will all benefit from your knowledge before the fact.

Let's start off with some links you NEED to read through and bookmark.

Start with this
FAQ of Reefing

which will contain (this is the order I think you'll want to read and take notes)

Setting Up a SUCCESSFUL Marine Aquarium

These are both good reads on the same topic *Cycling*
newbies-little-something-cycling-breaking-new-reef-tankl

just-exactly-what-cycled-tank

Some hints/tips on
TESTING

Ideas on
*Stocking* the tank

and
how to acclimate new additions

and while you're cycling your tank you'll want to
set-up and cycle a QT system

From there you'll be a little more prepared to start on this adventure.

Good luck and HAPPY REEFING!

***PS I merged your two threads into one because they are asking the same questions ****

jaw88

Thanks for the links,ill read them here soon,and thank you for ur help. i uploaded some photos,but how do i get to them?

r2d2

Hi, evaporation in normal. You should topoff with RO water every day, or every other day to keep salinity levels.
About temp issue.... I think you have 2 options, your heater is too small for your tank (no matter what the label says) or you have a broken piece of equippment, either heater or thermometer.

Greetings

jaw88

Maybe i need a new thermometer,it came with the tank so idk for sure how old it is,its a digital one that is a sticker so idk if they go bad or not. I have no skimmer or powerheads just a heater,a light,that thermometer,and the carbon filtering system that came with the tank.I want to get a skimmer,but dont have the money quite yet,i did have enough to get them when i first started it all up but almost 200 of that money had to go to something unexpected. I do not have an R/O filter either,i just got a salt mix that has a metal detoxifier in it and some start right powder stuff.