Corals in the RSM - pictures and comments on successes, failures, new additions, etc.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Re: Corals in the RSM - pictures and comments on successes, failures, new additions,

Nice additions doubleduece! Those Aussie Acans have become my favorite corals.

doubleduece

Re: Corals in the RSM - pictures and comments on successes, failures, new additions,

Me Too!!! Im lookn to get some blue one's now.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Definite failures!

This is what happens when your overnight delivery of corals get delayed an extra day by UPS due to adverse weather. Here's what they should have looked like (pink Pocci and a green Monti):

poc_11-19-26-2.jpg

monti_12-12-05-1.jpg

After an extra 24 hours of sitting in a cold airport hanger up north:

ExtremeCoralsPinkPocciandGreenMonti.jpg

The heat packs didn't hold out for an extra 24 hours, even in a styrofoam cooler. The water in the bags was ice cold on arrival, and the corals white and dead. Extreme Corals was great about it - they not only gave me credit for the corals, but the shipping as well. Not all coral vendors credit the shipping as it's beyond their control.

doubleduece

RM Did you get those corals replaced?

Well I have an update!!!!!!!!!!!!

Acan vs. Blasto,,, Acan WINS!!!!!

DSC_0549.jpg
[/IMG]

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

doubledeuce - yep - I got the corals replaced, but I couldn't get that type of green Monti again. I ended up getting a combo pink & yellow pocillopora colonies on a small rock, and a yellowish stylophora. No pictures yet though.

Your picture - is that what's left of the Blasto (skeleton on the back)? Had you already moved it? I think it may recover since I broke a big piece off of my Blasto in removing it from the rock it was on - it regenerated and even grew a young one where the piece was ripped off. And the small ripped off piece is regrowing as well.

Coral wars are not fun! Acans can be quite aggressive, and obviously the peaceful Blasto was no match for it! :(

When I placed the new pocilloporas I pulled out what used to be a very pretty green branching Monti - killed off by GSP and palys growing up onto it, I also broke off the remains of a german blue branching Monti - my big orange Monti Cap grew right aound the base of it. I'll try to soon get some pics of that also.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
New Corals + Fighting back!

I've moved my replacement corals around so many times this week that they've barely had a chance to open their polyps since I got them 6 days ago. And I moved them again today.

Before the last move today I did a job on removing a lot of the paly colony that wiped out my green M. digitata. I should have done this a few weeks ago, but wasn't sure how to trim them. I ened up using my old DIY xenia remover.

This was 2 months ago:

SPS10_18_08.jpg

This was about a week ago. The green branching digitata on the left was wiped out by overgrowth of the paly colony far left, and also by an encroaching mat of GSP, and was dead and white at this point. On the right side you'll see that the same fate befell my German Blue branching digi. The Orange Monti Cap has grown completely around the base of the digi, and it too was dead, and mostly white.

Warfare.jpg

This afternoon I pulled off most of the paly colony and remounted the 2 new corals in that area. I'll have to keep after the palys and GSP and trim them again as needed to avoid losing the new corals - a stylophora on the top that should have bright yellow polyps (if they ever get a chance to settle in), and a combination rock with a pink and green pocillopora colony below the stylophora:

NewCorals12_28_08.jpg

I broke off the dead branches of the blue digi - the Orange cap has formed a nice little cup after growing through the digi:

MontiCapMonti12_28_08.jpg

I should have fragged some branches off of the two digis before they perished, but I waited too long.

For the record here's my big green acro - this has really been growing great. I'd hate to lose this one for any reason:

Acro12_28_08.jpg

My Xenia, and now Paly remover tool - works great!

XeniaRemoval.jpg

Mavjoy

RM- your corals looks awesome!...i guess the halides are working.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Thanks Mavjoy. The halides probably speeded up the coral growth and now I'm trying to live through coral warfare! That's what I get for trying to fill up the tank with corals, and not realizing that they would all eventually grow enough to be cramped and fighting each other for space. If they can't kill a neighbor with toxins they'll just overgrow it and smother it to death! :)

Mavjoy

RM- you should frag them and trade, sell or donate to your local reef club. :D

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Agreed Mavjoy, but other than the big Monti cap, my biggest problems are the palys, zoas, and GSP, which are the hardest to get off the rock without destroying them or causing a rockslide. Even the Rics are moving around looking for more space LOL. I should put up a little "No Vacancy" sign in the tank - maybe for my benefit as well! :) And I'm terrible about not wanting to break branches off of my corals, after waiting so long for them to grow. But since they'll grow back I should be doing that. Wish I had room for a frag tank!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Bad news - the new Stylophora seems to be losing its skin, and several of the other corals have pulled in their polyps or shrunk. I think it's related to the sliming and release of possible toxins that was done by the palys when I was trimming and removing them this afternoon. I just put a fresh bag of carbon in the sump. Hopefully I have not created a major disaster. :(

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

I think I probably lost the new Stylophora - it looked pretty hopeless under the moonlights this morning. I couldn't tell for sure on any of the other corals as they're normally closed up at night. I should have a better idea when I get home tonight. Actually, when I think about it more, it may have my fault on the Stylophora - I probably handled it a few times by the branches, rather than grabbing it by the base rock, which is a big no-no with SPS. I myself may have been the cause of the flesh being caused to come off.

Rue

Oh dear! :(

And I was just going through your thread drooling at the beautiful (clean) photos...

I hope it turns out to just be a relatively minor blip and not a major issue...

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Hi Rue - not minor I'm afraid, but hopefully I won't lose too many things. It's things like this that sometimes have me wondering if it's time to get out of tanks and get my life back! It looks like I may lose a few, while others look fine. I'll try to do a water change tomorrow after work. It's been a long day at work after being off a week, and I'm just not into a water change tonight. If nothing else I may get to go go coral searching again, once I get things under control.

Rue

*ACK* You can't give it up! You're my RSM muse!

It's hard to balance hobbies with real life. It's also hard to just balance a hobby.

I enjoy my FW tanks, but once they're set up, there's nothing to do other than maintain and enjoy. Which is great - but not as engaging.

I'm much more engaged with the SW tank - but when things go wrong it's devastating...

Despite things going wrong with mine, I'm not ready to give up on it...I still want to find that elusive balance.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Not to worry - I don't give up easily. :)

Rue

Oh good! I can relax again...*phew*....

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

:bluenod:

mzreenie

Don't give up RM, you are my muse as well.

You have taught this newbie so much, and I value your advice and opinions.

Remember "stuff" happens!!! And follow the advice you gave me - go slow.......

alphasierra

Sorry to hear about this sad news.

You have taught this newbie so much, and I value your advice and opinions.

I agree 110%..... don't give up Terry!!