Corals dying...

jon doe

I usually don't post but I do a lot of reading.
This time I have a problem that doesnt seem to be going away and my local Big Als doesn't seem to be able to help me find out the cause.

Over the last couple of weeks some of my corals have been dying off. First it was my tourch. I have had it for about 9 months. A couple days before it died, it seemed fine, then it turned to mush and eventually I had to remove it because it was making a mess of my tank. It took about 48 hours to completely go from good to bad.
At the same time my pink xiena (excuse my spelling) started to get smaller and smaller. By weeks end, it was gone. The funny thing is that I have two other pink xeina's (much smaller) that are from the same colony that are doing well as far as I can tell.
Also, I have a devils claw that used to be full and I could see its small purple polyps but not anymore. Its shrivilled and I dont see the small polyps come out anymore.
The latest thing I have noticed is that my disc coral which usually has small tentacles come out at night has stopped coming out and I can see it starting to lose its color and turn white and brown.

I dont know if this will help with the diagnosis but I have noticed two other things about the tank that are unusual. I used to have to clean out the overflow once a week, but lately, its been staying clean and I do not have the usual growth I once did.
Also, I have this green algae that micro brittle stars live in. I used to have a lot of it and now its been dissappearing. I still have a few clumps but its mostly gone.

My other corals, fish and inverts are doing well.
I have a mushroom shaped leather, a green and brown goniopora, sun corals, grass looking coral, brown zoos and others. I even have a clam which I was told would only survive with excellent water conditions and its doing well.

Here is a list of what I have checked;
Salinity, 1.24
PH, nitrites, nitrates, amonia and calcium.
All of these are looking great according to my test kits, except the calcium was a little low. I just started mixing in calcium buffer to fix this.
I am doing water changes once a week. I have a 72 gallon tank and change about 8-9 gallons each week.

The only things I can think of now are;
1. I stopped using essential nutrients about a month ago because I ran out. I just got some more and began using it again.
2. My lights are Current USA Nova Pro t5 lights and maybe my bulbs need to be replaced? I have had the unit for about 10 months and most of the bulbs are factory. The lights look bright, but I know better than to trust my eyes when it comes to this hobby.

I was looking to see what all my failing corals have in common so I can find a common denominator and solve my problem but I dont know enough about my corals to know what the dying ones all have in common.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I feel bad losing corals, fish or anything for that matter. I need to stop the bleeding but I need help to figure this one out.
Thank you,

squiers007

It would be helpful if you posted the values for your tests, so we can get an accurate picture of the water conditions in your tank. Also, how long has the tank been up and running and what type of filtration/skimmer/additives are you using? Have you added anything new to the tank recently that may have introduced a parasite or disease? Also, if you have any pictures of the corals while they were "dying" that we be helpful as well. I hope with this added info we can help you out and prevent other corals from dying as well.

jon doe

Ammonia=0ppm
Nitrite=0ppm
Nitrate=0ppm
High Range PH test= 8.2
Phosphate=0ppm
Calcium=320ppm my book said it should be at least 400ppm.

The tank has been up for about 11 months.
I have a reactor setup with Phosphate removal media and another with carbon.
I used a new protein skimmer. I can lookup the make and model if you like, but its a new one with a separate pump dedicated for air as my old Red Sea pump was not working so well. The new one is skimming well.
The newest item I added before this all started happening was a flame angel who seems to be in good health still. That was probably about 2 months ago.
Around the same time, I added a blood shrimp who also seems to be doing well.
Tomorrow I can post a picture of the torch coral when it was dying. I got a decent picture of it on my phone.

squiers007

Your calcium is definately too low. You should try and maintain it around 420. Having such a low calcium is probably throwing off your alkalinity also. You didnt list a test results for alkalinity. Do you have a KH test kit? if not I would take some water to your LFS and see what it is. If both your calcium and KH are off this could be contributing to the corals death.

jon doe

Actually I do have a KH test kit which I did not use during my testing.
The result is: 125.3 ppm.
The test says it is for Carbonate Hardness. Is this the same thing as what you were talking about?

squiers007

Yeah, thats what I was talking about. 125.3 is a bit low as exected by your calcium reading. It should be closer to about 160ppm. You said you are doing WC's once a week and adding a calcium buffer correct? What salt mix are you using out of curiosity. Something is causing your calcium and KH to drop so you need to supplement this. There are several options available from dripping Kalkwasser to using premade buffers.

jon doe

I am and always have been using Instant Ocean Sea Salt.
As for the calcium buffer, I just started using that on my last water change.
If I bring the calcium levels up with this new buffer I have, will that fix the KH problem as well?

squiers007

Not Directly, I would do some reading in the Chemistry forum about the relationship between carbonate hardness and calcium. There is a bunch of good info there and they explain it a lot better than I can. Hope this helps. Keep us posted on how your tank is doing.