Coralline Skrapings

Kovu

I was wondering if anybody has some they can offer i finnally got my no3 down and want to jump start my coralline.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Kovu I'm going to try and scrape some for Brucie tonight and if I have enough for 2 runs I'll PM you so we can arrange it for you as well. I'll let you know later tonight.

chipmunkofdoom2

If you can see some coralline on your rocks, then you have enough seeded to cover everything in it.

The only thing that I've seen that actually makes coralline take off like wild-fire is a steady tank. Keep things stable for a while, and trust me, it WILL grow... then you'll look back at this thread and regret ever wanting the stuff...

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
does it work?

If you mean "scraping coralline" YES! I seeded one of my tanks (it was started with DRY rock) with a snail shell. I turned the return pump off and just left circulation pumps on... took the snail and used a knife to scrape some shavings into the tank. I left the Return off for an hour then after that back on and never touched it again. In about a month I started seeing small specs of coralline all over the tank in different spots. I watched as rock, glass, scraper, powerhead EVERYTHING slowly and steadily became encrusted. I regret that move 1000X over . . .

bennyd

Hey BigAl what all colors of coralline do you happen to have? My system only seems to grow the pink stuff... I am looking to get some darker purple and some orange... Have any of those by chance?

seafansar

Why would you want to encourage coralline growth?! lol. It becomes a PITA in the long run, always growing on the glass.

bennyd- The pink kind will usually overgrow any other colors. It seems to be the best at living in home aquariums and out competes the other kinds.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Why would you want to encourage coralline growth?! lol.

That's what everyone told me when I start trying to grow it... I thought it looks pretty, now I have more than I want and have to scrape some of it away...
025.gif

jnohs

the color will depend mostly on your lighting. I have purple growing allover my tank. Some people thik it is a pita but i like it. I tiurns the glass surface in to live rock. And looks much more naturale than glass.

Kovu

hey i got a snail covered with coralline from a friend so im going to scrape that off and see why you guys hate coralline so much :D

hey i got a snail covered with coralline from a friend so im going to scrape that off and see why you guys hate coralline so much :D

lol...
its interesting i didnt know that this could work, but then again i never thought about it... i have quite a bit of pink and purple and also red (intense and also dark red) on some parts, specially the frag plugs, but i have also seen now that you mention some orange spots here and there, not big, just spots, and i have some on the frag plugs, it seems to be really easy to get coralline growth on them...

nightfire76

i dont see a prob with having caroline...after all we need do have to take care of our tanks dont we?....it might be a tad time consumming at times though id much rather have caroline algae instead of hair and bubble algae,im getting tired of pulling my rock and scrubbing the bubbles off and the hair isnt too bad,i just go in there and pluck em off.....its kinda like having a dog and you wonder why he/she is so out of shape and ya remember ya never take him/her off the leash to walk/play

seafansar

Ummm...just cause I don't like scraping coralline off my tank doesn't mean I don't take care of my tank. It's just hard to scrape off!

nightfire76

thats not what i meant at all sara....sorry if you too offence to that,scraping it off is just another task we take on when having an aquarium,likee i said im hate having to take my rock out and scrub it....just another task :(

here are some pics i just took of my bright orange algae, this are just a few spots, they are that bright and there was no flash. i have spots like this scattered acros the tank and it catches my attention everytime, but this was the first time they were in camera range...
DSC00549.jpg

DSC00550.jpg

DSC00551.jpg

DSC00552.jpg

hey look Al i learned how to display pics... lol

livebait

Just buy some snails and/or hermits with coralline on thier shells. Mine were all covered with pink and purple. Now every rock and hole they've been on or in has new growth.

nightfire76

my carlines picked up alot compared to a month ago,i love to look of it,wife says it makes my koralia look ugly,i told her hay its your favorite color pink lol the only thing i dont like bout carline is that it makes spots on the glass in the back but no biggie since im out fitting it with lots of live rock and soon coals after i finally get my icecap 660 in a few days :D