Coraline algae bleaching HELP

OcellarisClowns

Hey Reefsanctuary hope everyone is well. I'm asking for help with my problem of coraline algae bleaching. I have had my 37g reef tank set up for around 9 months and everything has been going well until about a month ago. I started to notice the coraline algae on my rock was starting to turn white (bleach). I have an idea of what might be causing this but I would appreciate others opinions. I have been using Seachem Marine buffer to keep the PH at 8.3 since i set the tank up and just recently realized it also raises alkalinity (I know rookie mistake). Since I have added a birdsnest coral I wanted to keep the calcium level in check so I went with a two part additive from Two Little Fishes called C-Balance. What I am getting at is I think I may have over done it and raised the alkalinity way to high. Would this be a reason for the algae bleaching? Calcium is around 400ppm but the Red Sea alkalinity test kit I have is giving me trouble. I havent added the alkalinity part of the C-Balance for three to four weeks but still see the algae bleaching. I hate this because everything looked so nice before I started using additives. I know its my fault but I just want to get to the bottom of this so I can reverse the damage. I would greatly appreciate everyones advice. Thanks again.

KARussell88

I would do some water changes with your regular salt and stop using additives.
IMO additives are best left to the pros, most salt mixes now a days will put your waters chemistry where it should be as long as you do regular water changes.

mbdave

You are probably way out of balance, 3-4 weeks is a long time to only add one part of the two. The big problem is you need to test much more often than it sounds like your doing. Get rid of the red sea test kit unless it is the new model the old model is junk, purchase a salifert or some other higher end test kit. Do a few water changs over a week or two and start testing the following, calcium, alk, and magnesium, read this article Reef Aquarium Water Parameters by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com Mr. Farley has other articles that are exceptional I recommend looking them up and reading. On the coraline have you changed your bulbs by chance? Different lights will cause coraline to go through changes. Take some time, don't panic, read up and heal your tank.
Good luck,
Dave

Normaly you would add alk more often than all the others. None of your levels will stay if your mag isnt right. I personally dont like to try to keep my levels just by doing water changes. I tried it and it didnt work out for me. You do need good test kits though and use them more often.