coral turning white

dwtoddj

hello my name is dwayne i have a 300 gl tank if some on can help me i cant under stand why some of my corals r truning whit and outher r not and thay can be right next to each outher and every thing is steel liveing plese help if u can thank you

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Re: coral truning white

Hello Dwayne :)

Tell us more about your "System" as a whole

what type of lights do you have?

How old are the bulbs?

What are your current water parameters?

What is your water change schedule and amount and when was the last one?

what specific coral are we talking about?

Any pics would be GREAT!

cbrownfish

Re: coral truning white

^ What he said.

All corals do not have the same tolerance for contaminants, skewed parameters, allelopathy, etc. Hence you can see a huge and previously healthy coral colony just die off out of the blue. As Al alluded, you need to provide more data for an educated answer.

dwtoddj

i have 2 150 mh at 14,000 k 2 vho at 10,000. 2 vho at 50/50. 4 vhothat r blue . all at a 120 wates . and 3 75 wates mh water changs done every 2 weeks at 75 gl. ph is at 8.4- ammonia is 0.25-nitrite is at 0 -nitrate is at 5.0 -alkalinity is at 2.5-calcium is at 420. all my lights r about 6 months old. had a pink lather fingers it just died off a green lather that just looks like it wants to die. buttom polops that r sitting next to each outher half r truning white muchrooms some r truning white some r note if i know how to get lic on here i would i have a hard time getting pics on here

Frankie

RS STAFF
i have 2 150 mh at 14,000 k 2 vho at 10,000. 2 vho at 50/50. 4 vhothat r blue . all at a 120 wates . and 3 75 wates mh water changs done every 2 weeks at 75 gl. ph is at 8.4- ammonia is 0.25 (Not good)-nitrite is at 0 -nitrate is at 5.0 -alkalinity is at 2.5-calcium is at 420. all my lights r about 6 months old. had a pink lather fingers it just died off a green lather that just looks like it wants to die. buttom polops that r sitting next to each outher half r truning white muchrooms some r truning white some r note if i know how to get lic on here i would i have a hard time getting pics on here
Sounds like your going through a cycle or something. Those readings I highlighted could also be from the die off of your system. Pictures would help a lot. From your near to perfect water parameters you should not be dealing with these issues unless it is something else all together like an out side contaminant of some type. Like a house hold product getting into the water.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I see in your avatar picture that you have a deep sand bed. Have you disturbed this at all recently? How old is this system?

DaveK

With the ammonia reading above 0 tells us that you have a serious water quality problem. As pointed out, the tank is going through some sort of cycle. Most likely something is dead and decaying.

First check your system for any dead fish or corals. The best way to test the corals is smell them. A good coral smells bad. A dead or dying corals will smell extremely foul and bad. Either discard it, or frag it, saving only the good parts, discarding the rest.

Also -
What livestock do you have in the system? (all of it)
What size is the tank?
What kind of filtration, skimming, and circulation are you using?

dwtoddj

ok i will try to have pic on her with in the next couple of days my tank is a 300 i am useing a sump the skimmer i have is for a 300 i am trune the tank over about 6 times a hour i will try to get pic on here so u can see thank u for helping me on this

Aithnerikain

I noticed you said your lights are about 6 months old?

Not too experienced with VHO and such but I replaced my bulbs at 6-8 months, it might be a little early but that way I know they're not dead

It seems like a LOT of lighting, but it is a huge tank, again I have a 55 and I run 10,000 K and a blue so LOL