Coral Magazine - Is it worth getting?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I had an email this morning from a coral supplier (not a RS sponsor) that after being discontinued in December a new publisher would be picking up and restarting the publication of Coral Magazine.

Coral Magazine

The contributors and advisors list looks impressive.

Comments on this magazine? Is it worth getting?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
RM do a search here on RS there area couple of threads about it.

In breif: Heck YEAH!

but note... it's in the middle of CHANGING! They are dropping their "GERMAN" affiliation and it will be a different magazine. I've got that information here on my PC or on my Laptop at home. I'll post back here shortly.

That's a YES it's an amazing magazine and I keep EVERY copy!!! :)

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
I have subcribed to this magazine for over a year and I can say it has excellent material and beautiful, glossy, color pictures.

I must say though that I was not informed of the change when I called to renew in November '08. Probably because it was so close to the change, but I did receive notice in Dec '08. If the new magazine is as good as the previous, then it is an excellent resource and fun interesting reading.

I have not received a magazine since the new publisher took over. I'll let you know what I think of the new layout!

nijunet

I subscribed to Coral, it is an awesome magazine. I keep all the issues also. I got a letter from them when I went to renew and they said the new magazine is called Reef Life. I subscribed to the new one but are they still going to continue Coral in the US??

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Scott it's scheduled for "Spring '09" which is just around the corner. I'm eagerly waiting for it as well :)

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
That's what I didn't understand. My renewal card said, "Call to renew your subscription to Coral Magazine". It was a glossy post card with a picture of a Coral Magazine cover on the front. That was back in Oct '08, I think. I called in Nov '08 to renew and was not told there was going to be a change to "Reef Life". Then in Dec '08 I got a another post card that said it was changing to Reef Life. So I don't know what is going on with this subscription. I know it was a European based magazine.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Yeah I was "Chatting" on a local forum and we were talking about this same thing in December. Apparently it was very "Hush Hush" until the last moment. I don't know if it was something out of anger or out of respect.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Scott it's scheduled for "Spring '09" which is just around the corner. I'm eagerly waiting for it as well :)

I hope it's as good as the last one. There was an intriguing quality to Coral Magazine and its European philosophy towards reefing.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
I'm going to miss Professor Ellen Thayer's articles, if she is no longer on the writing staff.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Thanks Big Al and all. Sounds like it should be worth it if it's even close to the previous magazine. I'll hold off subscribing for a week, till I find out next week if I still have a job. Till then no ordering anything! :)

Rue

I've flipped through it...very nice indeed...but it had a bit too much coral info. for me, or so it seemed.

Maybe the new version is a bit more inclusive? I'd prefer that myself...as long as it doesn't get too commercial at the same time...

Rue

Thanks Big Al and all. Sounds like it should be worth it if it's even close to the previous magazine. I'll hold off subscribing for a week, till I find out next week if I still have a job. Till then no ordering anything! :)

Good call! Unless you decide you need an immediate pick-me-up!

What happens if they do let you go? Are there other job options in the wings?

Phreek

sorry to hear about that RM, in this economy its tough.But I am pretty interested in this magazine, I think I'll subscribe to it, but I'll hold off as well.Atleast until I hear the reviews about the new version.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Rue - I guess I'd just retire a few years earlier than I had planned on. Or see if there are any openings for a Walmart greeter. :)