Coral ID Help

medicern

Hey RSers,
I was at the fish store a while ago and got this thing for 5 bucks, but haven't been able to figure out what it is. Any help would be appreciated.

New Coral by Kristen and Ryan, on Flickr

Then I recently got a light upgrade to a 4 bulb T5HO fixture with LED moonlights. After that light was on the tank, I started to notice something glowing under the LED moonights that I didn't know was there. This is the best picture I have of it:

Coral Hitch hiiker by Kristen and Ryan, on Flickr
I recieved this (what I thought was a peice of a shell) with one of the mushrooms I purchased months ago. The mushroom has since moved on and this "shell" was just sitting in the substrate. Then I began to notice these small bright green polyps glowing under the moonlights. Yesterday I moved it up the water column to see if more light and more flow would do anything. I'm wondering if this is some kind of encrusting Monti or something. There appears to be a light pink base spreading across the shell and from that base grows a bunch of these glowing polyps. Any ideas?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Hard to even give it a guess but the first pics "could" be Candy Cane coral . . . ? ? ?

Robzilla

Hard to tell but the first one might be some kind of Caulastrea....maybe a trumpet? No idea on the second one.

medicern

I wondered that, too but doesn't seem to have that "bubble" top on it. Also there appears to be small bumps starting to form around the edge of each of the three heads.
Here is a top down I just took of the second one and circled where the polyps are. Maybe that'll help.

coral by Kristen and Ryan, on Flickr

Robzilla

Caulastrea can look like that if it isn't inflated. When I got mine it looked like a weird pointy crown on a stem and now it is nice and inflated. Still no clue on the mystery shell.

ReefLady

Staff member
Looks like a toadstool frag to me. That's what they look like before they grow out their "mushroom cap."

lcstorc

Is it hard or soft? That would be an easy way to tell the difference between toadstool and Trumpet. I vote trumpet/Candy cane.

medicern

It has a soft stem, I guess I'll keep it where it is and keep a eye on it. It seems to be happy. I'm waiting to see feeder tentacles out so I can feed it or something.