Coral help

JCEVERA

My take has been up and running for 8 - 9 months and the first few SPS i tried did poorly and died, now the last few have died on the surface facing up, but seem to be doing well on the underside. Am I doing something wrong by keeping them high in the tank with high flow. I transitioned them up high quickly sine they were under MH at the LFS. My LPS and Softies are growing like crazy. Please help.

95 gallon
Mixed reef/fish
25 gallon refugium
T5, Metal halide, LED
protein skimmer
30% weekly water changes
parameters WNL

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Sounds like you are bleaching the corals.......I would start them off low in the sand.....and then move them up 2-3 inches a week to your desired spot.......if you see them lightening in color, drop them back down.

You probably need to acclimate them to your tank conditions (water and lighting).

30% weekly water changes is pretty aggressive too.....do you need to do that to keep it under control (high trates or soemthing?) Here are a couple of questions that answers too might be of use:
Salnity?
Fish stocking"
Tank Temp?

Thanks!

catran

My LFS said to start them at the bottom and take 1-1 1/2 weeks to move them up. Not all SPS like high light. How high up is the light at the LFS? Bet yours is lower...

JCEVERA

I just choose to do the water changes, not because it is needed. Salinity 1.025, temp 78 - 79

Midas blenny
flame angel (angel don't seem to bother the corals)
lemon peel angel
green wrasse
sailfin tang
2 percula clowns
1 maroon yellow stripe clown (yes they get along so far)
square back anthias

JCEVERA

Yes, there light is higher, maybe twice as high as mine. I was ignorant, I thought in general most SPS need high lighting

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
In general they DO but you have to understand that coral will "adapt" to light conditions in a rang of intensity (still has to be witnin it's own genetic tolerances etc). If the LFS has old, high, off-brand bulbs they may not be very intense and the coral will be accustomed to THAT amount of light. When you put them into your tank you might be giving them photo-shock.

It's like when you go to a different place that's a different temperature for vacation. Yes it's still within your range of LIVING but you get used to it. When you come home you have to go through the "Shock" of the change.

cbrownfish

What type of SPS? Montipora? Acropora? There are several possibilities based on the description.......tiny pests can eradicate corals, high alkalinity can burn SPS from the top down, fish picking (Angel, Dwarf Angel, Foxface, etc)......