Copperband Butterflyfish Advise

Pancho75

Hello,

I am looking to introduce a Copperband Butterflyfish to me reef, I really love their colors, it has been on my list forever.

The LFS is currently holding the fish for me for 48 hours for me to decide whether I take it or not.

I know some invertebrates may have some issue. I have two questions:

1. Is there a possibility for this fish to eat corals like Duncans, Torchs, Zoas or Hammers?

2. Can I make the Copperband Butterflyfish eat dry food or only frozen? This is a big one for me since the tank is alone for long periods of time.

Any experience and guidance will be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: SPR

DaveK

It is unlikely that a copperband will bother those corals, but considering it's long mouth, it's has just the thing for going after things like small tube worms.

You might get lucky and get the fish to eat dry food, but I'd say it would be tough.

cracker

Is this fish eating at the store? You "may " in time get it to eat flake but it wouldn't be a good long term diet They a a good variety of frozen foods from the sea. It could live for years ,eat like a pig then one day just up & stop. at that point it's too late. there isn't the proper nutrition in the flake for these particular fish I believe. 1st thing to do is get it eating at home & go from there.

Pancho75

Thank you for the advise guys, the fish in the LFS is healthy and eaten different frozen foods. However I won’t be there to feed froze food everyday, I do want the fish but it is not fair for it. I will have to pass on it.

cracker

Good call ! Now maybe a Raccoon Butterfly? I'd think more forgiving than a Copper Band.
However need a good varied diet for a long life. You could feed good stuff as often as possible.

SPR

Hello,

I am looking to introduce a Copperband Butterflyfish to me reef, I really love their colors, it has been on my list forever.

The LFS is currently holding the fish for me for 48 hours for me to decide whether I take it or not.

I know some invertebrates may have some issue. I have two questions:

1. Is there a possibility for this fish to eat corals like Duncans, Torchs, Zoas or Hammers?

2. Can I make the Copperband Butterflyfish eat dry food or only frozen? This is a big one for me since the tank is alone for long periods of time.

Any experience and guidance will be greatly appreciated!

My LFS has some coming in at the end of this week so I might get one as well, as like you it’s been on my list for a while but I’ve never purchased one as yet.