convict and powder blue tang

twoclowns

Anyone have any experience keeping convict tangs with a powder blue tang. I was thinking about getting two convict tangs and a powder blue tang, compatibility is questionable, right now I have a 125g reef but will be upgrading to a 215g reef in the next few months. I currently don't have any tangs as I lost my regal to a power outage a few months ago. I don't have many fish either, small possum wrasse, clown goby, manderine, and a Australian dottyback. I also have a large squamosa clam and was wondering if anyone has had problems with either of them tangs picking on clams? thanks -Keith

Last edited:

Witfull

powder blues are hard to acclimate to captivity, are ich prone and delicate,,,,and thats the easy part. they require massive amounts of space, are highly territorial and get a bad attitude to anything that swims when they get big. as pretty as they are, i would suggest you shy away from this species, or let him have a tank to himself.

as for convict tangs, this species shouldnt be imported. this is a shcooling tang that covers miles of reef a day. they are similar to a marauding horde. keep singly in an aquarium they usually die.

dito with the above comment regarding powder's they are very delicate and prone to ich.

convicts are very high alagae consumers along with any other tangs. think twice