Conflicted

noon6

As many others have at times I got some bad advice from my LFS when setting up my tank. I was sold CC for my substrate and now I am regretting this decision. Based on what I have read a Argonite substrate is best. My tank has now been setup for 2 months and is for the most part stable and I'm wondering if a change in my substrate is something I should tackle?
I have the following livestock in my 130D in addition to 80 lbs of live rock and would hate to even think of losing any of the inhabitants;

1 Six Line Wrasse
2 Percula Clowns
4 Chromis

1 Duncan
1 Purple Plate
1 Long Tentacle Plate
1 Pagoda
1 Zoa
1 Star Polyp
1 Frogspawn
1 Mushroom Rock
1 Galexia
1 Colt Leather

Can or should I make this change and if so how should I go about it to save my livestock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
If you do decide to do it, it really is not very difficult and you can make it really easy on your livestock. The best way to do it is remove about 1/4 of your sand and replace it with the Aragonite. Then about a week or two later replace another 1/4 section and replace that, keep going until you've removed and replaced it all. Many members here use this sand:

http://www.marinedepot.com/CaribSea...Reef_Aquariums-CaribSea-CS0020-FISSDS-vi.html

reefer gladness

I agree aragonite is a better substrate but you've come to far to turn back easily now. The tank will kick off another cycle if you tear it down and replace the substrate. Probably just a mini-cycle but your tank is stocked with a lot of fish for a tank that sized and only 2 months old so it will be a challenge to control water quality.

I'd probably leave about 1 inch of the CC in the tank and use a gravel vac each week when doing water changes to help remove the detritus that tends to get trapped.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
reefer - You don't think he could remove it section by section??

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
That's a tough question. One thing to keep in mind is that doing a total substrate change at this point in the game would be a show stopper in terms of your tank's biological filtration system. You would be back at ground ZERO for the most part (not entirely but in my books I'd round down and say yes you are).

Here are some more bits of food for thought:

• At 2 months old your tank is already slightly "heavy" in terms of stocking. Granted I'm usually the "overly cautious" one around here but that's how I roll.
  • You have (4) very similar fish in a smallish tank. I like to have approx 10g per fish for any of the damsel group and when I start mixing them together I like to add at least 50% to that for a safe measure.
  • You have a very nice selection of coral in your tank but again at the 2 month mark I feel like you might be pushing the envelope a bit.

Good luck and Happy Reefing :)

Last edited:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Crushed Coral is Crushed Coral and is a lot different than sand.

If done in sections (as well posted above) you can pull this off but you gotta pay close attention to water parameters. With a young tank stocked the way yours is you are teetering and small changes will have a profound effect. Keep an eye on your coral and fish and they will tell you how things are going.

noon6

Thanks for the great advice so far! If I choose to leave as is what are the risks both short and long term and can I have a successful tank using the substrate that I have in place? I can always use sand in the next tank I setup..."wishful thinking"

reefer gladness

reefer - You don't think he could remove it section by section??

I think OP's tank is teetering on the edge of stability already considering the stock level and the size and age of the tank. I'm just not sure I would risk the livestock with a mini-cycle unless I felt there was no other choice. Basically I'm saying 'don't fix it if it ain't broke'.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I think OP's tank is teetering on the edge of stability already considering the stock level and the size and age of the tank. I'm just not sure I would risk the livestock with a mini-cycle unless I felt there was no other choice. Basically I'm saying 'don't fix it if it ain't broke'.

Fair enough! :thumber:

DaveK

... I was sold CC for my substrate and now I am regretting this decision. Based on what I have read a Argonite substrate is best. ... Can or should I make this change and if so how should I go about it to save my livestock?

Well, as you can see there are a lot of differing opinions on this subject, and I will say that the people giving the advice are people I respect. In a sense both positions are correct.

My own take is a bit different. Having used both crushed coral and aragonite sand, I'd say, yes, aragonite sand is a better choice. However, it's not that much better than crushed coral. My advice is to leave things alone, and don't mess with the substrata for this marginal improvement in your system.

If for some reason, you need to tear the system down for some other reason, at that point switch to aragonite sand. Also, if you build a whole new system, then go with aragonite sand.

Lastly, I don't think there is anyone that has been in this hobby any length of time that doesn't have a massive list of things they would do differently if they had to do it all over again. Sometimes, your better just living with it, since the improvement will be marginal.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Steve,

Looks like you started with lots of nice LR (not dry rock) seems it would handle your bioload and your 2 month old cc would not be very mature.

starting I would add some fresh chemical filtration media, keep up 15% weekly wc, and changing it out slowly 1/4 per week, and I would think you would be fine, if it's what I would do (hate cc)

lots good advise ^ to consider, just my 2 cents :) but I don't think it's a must either... see what everyone else thinks - great thing about RS, you get lots of good advise to consider

8aju2eby.jpg

tank stalker

Thanks for the great advice so far! If I choose to leave as is what are the risks both short and long term and can I have a successful tank using the substrate that I have in place? I can always use sand in the next tank I setup..."wishful thinking"
I run cc in my 30 gallon and as long as you practice good house keeping you should be fine..mines been going 2 years plus with no major problems

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I run cc in my 30 gallon and as long as you practice good house keeping you should be fine..mines been going 2 years plus with no major problems

This is a good point in any reef tank but seems like it would be truer on a tank with crushed coral.

noon6

I really want to thank all of you for the suggestions and feedback. I have a lot to think about and although I wish I had used the sand I'm not sure the reward is worth the risk. Here is the most current picture of my setup.

vetyryma.jpg

Snid

Hmmm... A thought just occurred to me. The main reason why crushed coral isn't as good as sand is because it has pockets of open spaces that catch detritus. Sand is finer and denser and those pockets practically don't exist, minus gas bubbles that develop. Because of the fine grains of sand, couldn't you just add sand in addition to the crushed coral, stir it gently, and allow the sand to fill in the pockets?

noon6

I was wondering the same thing. It seems like that would be an option and if using dry sand vs live it would eliminate the chance of a mini-cycle. Anyone else have thoughts on this idea?

Oxylebius

Yes, you can mix the two and some people do purposely for keeping certain types of bottom dwelling fish. But, keep in mind that the smaller grains will eventually settle out on the bottom. And you will still want to maintain good housekeeping, vacuum it to keep detritus from building up.

Changing out 1/4 at a time is really do-able. It's similar to topping off (or building up your sand bed) after running your tank for several years. Do it a little at a time over several months.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I feel like you're probably best off just to ride it out as is and as suggested above change later if NEED be.

Even if you do add SAND it will settle down into the CC over time. I'd say keep with what you have and enjoy it. Stay on top of your game.

Is that a Torch Coral in the bottom middle of your tank? If so give it PLENTY of room because they have "stinger" tentacles that reach out much further than you'd expect and they will sting just about any other coral (except ones also in the Euphyllia family) that they can reach.