coco worm not extending

FallChinook

We got a what was a beautiful coco worm at the LFS last weekend, but it won't fully extend now. Our water parameters are all good, everything else is happy--any ideas??
May2009012.jpg

Jess

How much flow is it getting? What are your actual levels (not just "good")? My coco worm is very sensitive to water quality, as well as flow, and what he is placed near.

FallChinook

Nitrates, nitrites, ammonia, phosphates all 0. SG is 1.025. It is near the bottom of tank (we have an RSM130) with stock pumps and a Vorteck MP20. It gets pretty good flow--should it be in an area with lower flow? It is in an area where we had some feather dusters, so I assumed it would do good there.

Jess

Well, with levels like those, and no other obvious issues, I would try moving it. Can't hurt to try ;)

Mine does pout from time to time, even with good water params, so sometimes I just let it go and he bounces back and gets pretty again. Who knows, maybe there's a little crab at the other end tickling him :dunno:

Good luck!

FallChinook

I am actually thinking that something is eating it--I can see where most of the things are torn off......has anyone else seen this?

Jess

I've personally never seen that but my guess would be it was already dying, and then something started eating it.

What else do you have in your tank? (The more detailed the list is, the better :yup:)

FallChinook

Fish: 2 clownfish, 1 yellow watchman goby
Inverts: 2 cleaner shrimp, 1 fire shrimp, 1 pistol shrimp, 1 emerald crab, 1 porceline anemone crab, misc. hermit crabs, snails

My suspect would be the fire shrimp maybe....he was not so nice to the smaller cleaner shrimp.

Jess

Well, I have a fire shrimp also and mine doesn't seem bothered by him. How is your coco doing now? Hopefully better. Did you move it?

Jess

I really don't think your fire shrimp is the culprit. But if it's doing better, that's great! Still curious if you ever moved it or not....

FallChinook

Yes, I did move it. I can see new growth near the base of all of the filaments, so it is growing back for sure. I have to think it was the fire shrimp because he also picked on one of our smaller cleaner shrimp. He would sneak up on him and snip off his antenna, a leg.....I won't be getting another one!

Jess

Weird, my fire shrimp has never hurt anything in my tank. Are you sure it's getting enough food? Are you getting rid of the fire shrimp or.....?

I actually love my fire shrimp!!

I actually have two coco worms and one of the heads on one fell off. It also regrew and I thought it was because of my cleaner shrimp? I am not confirmed of this, but I do know that all my params were perfect. I could not figure out what in the world happened, but the worm grew back and that was that.

Sup Jess.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
FireShrimp sometimes get very territorial to their own kind. The smaller the tank the more potential you have for this trait to grow.

Yes, I did move it. I can see new growth near the base of all of the filaments, so it is growing back for sure. I have to think it was the fire shrimp because he also picked on one of our smaller cleaner shrimp. He would sneak up on him and snip off his antenna, a leg.....I won't be getting another one!

As for the FS bothering the coral wouldn't really bet to much on that. Odds are something ELSE was wrong and it was merely being the "First to Diner". They are amazing scavengers and he just smelled "sickness" and "decaying flesh" and was probably just "Cleaning" things up for you.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I actually have two coco worms and one of the heads on one fell off. It also regrew and I thought it was because of my cleaner shrimp? I am not confirmed of this, but I do know that all my params were perfect. I could not figure out what in the world happened, but the worm grew back and that was that.

Sup Jess.

Some theorize that this can total "de-crowning" can be from stress or a potential form of reproduction.

Jess

As for the FS bothering the coral wouldn't really bet to much on that. Odds are something ELSE was wrong and it was merely being the "First to Diner". They are amazing scavengers and he just smelled "sickness" and "decaying flesh" and was probably just "Cleaning" things up for you.

Yay, I was right! WOOT!

Sup Mikey :wave:

WHATS UP AL

FallChinook

The fire shrimp and coco worm were bought at the same time, and the damage occurred within the first few days of putting the coco worm into the tank. Yes, I am sure it was getting enough food in the tank....unfortunately I have recently enrolled in overfeeders anonymous. :)