Clown's Indo-Pacific Lagoon

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
Now that I am settling into my new home, time to start thinking about a new tank. I haven't figured out everything yet, but I know where I am going with this so its just a matter of working out the details.

One thing I have always like about the FW hobby is how they do biotopes, with all the animals and plants coming from the same geographic area. My plan is to try this in SW, and see how it turns out. I have chosen Indo Pacific for location (where else can I find clownfish?), and a lagoon for the reef one. This will be a seagrass aquarium.

To start with, seagrasses can grow tall and need a deep substrate as they have root systems. So at a minimum, the tank will have to be 24" tall. That puts me in the 90-120 gallon range. Here in Arkansas they are trying to sell aquariums and have vut the price, so my cost for a brand new 90 is only $220; $325 for a 120. Kind of leaning towards the 90.

I have decided on grasses from two genus,Syringodium (Manatee grass) and Halophila (star grass) as they have similar needs. I will have to use Caribbean grasses, but Syringodium looks pretty much the same worldwide, and well I really don't have a lot of choices.

The substrate will be 5" deep or so, and will be a mix of mud and different grades of sand, not straight oolitic. For all the controversy there is over a DSB, and good arguments on both sides, I think we can all agree that a DSB makes sense in a seagrass tank with active root systems that remove nutrients directly from the sand bed.

My vision is to paint the back of the tank blue to give the image of distance (wnyone know what type of paint? Krylon isn't it? How long should I give it to de-gas?). Plant the Manatee grass across the back, star grass in front of it. In one corner of the tank have a patch of live rock, which I would like to peg (gulp!) and have it reach out towards the center of the tank, Probably only 30-40 pounds of rock in the tank. And some rubble scattered across the bottom.

For corals, I will have elegance corals, Cataphylika jardinei; brain corals, Trachyphillia geoferoyi, and plate corals, Cycloseris cyclolite/Fungia sp.

For fish, a shoal of PJ cardinals to swim through the manatee grass as they do in nature. I would love Banggai cardinals, but as they are on the brink of extinction won't touch them unless I can get tank raised.

For fish, either a yellow watchman and a tiger pistol shrimp, or a yasha goby with its little buddy shrimp. Here is my one cheat - a pearly or bluespot jawfish. With the perfect habitat for them can't resist. Its a cheat as they are new world fish. The jawfish should setup shop at the edge of the seagrass.

To round out, a pair of saddleback or pink skunk clowns.

Lighting will be T5s, either the Aquactinics TX5 or Constellation. Wanted LEDs, but in case anyone has noticed, Aquaillumination is now the only game in town. Coral Dynamics is out of business, and Catalina has removed their LED fixtures from their site. Aquactinics have the best reflectors out there, and can easily go to 30" deep, which is more than I need. Just don't know if 7 bulbs is too much. A 7 bulb Aquactinics fixture puts out as much if not more light than an 8 bulb setup from the other guys - the reflectors are that good.

I still have room for more fish, although I will have good sized shoal of PJs - 9 or so fish. Any suggestions? This would be a perfect tank for those cute little ponies, but not sure I want a chiller. Ponies without the clowns would also work - I checked seahorse.org and everything is compatible.

Here is one tank that needs enough bioload to feed the grass :)

Oodles of nerites and ceriths. No hermits at all. Don't want to derail too far into sand beds, but hermits are bad news for them.

Water motion will be a pair of MP40s

For the sump, a plain old sump with a refugium. Will get a Euro Reef mesh wheel skimmer if I can prevail upon Robbert to build one a little bigger, and use a Tunze silence pump for a return. Low wattage, and I have better results with low flow through the sump.

To get to the sump, a glass-holes.com overflow box and probably dual returns with a SCWD. Yes, I will drill holes. Its is incredibly easy.

If anyone has any ideas, let me know. Looking for a few good fish. That is what I have come up with so far. Any thoughts? I think it will be very nice.

Sucio

i dig the idea... i was considering it a few weeks ago. looking forward to seeing the progress.

are you doing an anemone?

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
This is the natural habitat for an LTA. But I am not sure an LTA would be wise with brain or plate corals, or a jawfish for that matter. Could be wrong, but that's my impression

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
The live mud will come from reefcleaners.org

The substrate itself I think will be Koralagoon from Brightwell Aquatics. Either that or Caribsea Ocean Direct Original. Both have mixed grade sand, from small to coarse, and are burrower friendly

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
Sorry to be away. I have moved about 1500 miles and life is a bit chaotic still

I have started the build :)

My new town has one, yes, that is one, LFS. The guy who owns it is very knowledgeable in some areas, not so much in others, but a really good guy. I cannot get everything I would like. I won't be able to get Brightwell Koralagoon substrate; heck I can't get Tropic Marin salt. I could mail order, but I hate doing that with such heavy items. But I digress

My tank is on order and will be here next week. It is standard Oceanview 90 gallons. Never heard of them before, but they look nice (well built) and are manufactured not far from here.

The LFS is custom building a stand and canopy for me. the stand will be around 36" tall, and the doors in front will completely open - there will be no center brace to deal with. The canopy will be a pretty standard one 10" tall. Will take plenty of pictures when it gets here. The ones I have seen look really nice.

I have ordered a second stand in a smaller version - one for a 30 long. The 30 will be my QT system. I will cure the rock in it, and QT all my corals and animals in it before going into the DT. In the bottom of the 30 stand will be a 20 gallon tank. This will be my replacement water for the ATO on the DT.

Two tanks, two stands, and a canopy. Under $600 so far. The LFS thinks the prices for stands are too high so they charge $185 for my 90 stand. Gotta love small towns.

Like I said the will be a lagoon, and so I am thinking seahorses. I am not committed yet, but am taking this into account.

The sump will be a 30 long with some glass baffles. Will be a simple one - compartment to drain, a refugium, then a settling area, then return compartment. I will be using an external pump for the return, a Maxi Jet 1800. I know they are not common, but were well reviewed in AA last year and MJ makes great powerheads. It draws only 30 watts, and as I am only looking for 3 or 4x turnover for the sump it should fit the bill. If not, easy to change. I will have a second external pump that will connect to the skimmer, then the chiller, then back to the refugium.

The skimmer is a Reef Octopus DNWB 150 recirculating skimmer. Saw Basiles, liked it and got the next one up.

The chiller will probably be a Pacific Coast CL-300.

The overflow is a 1500 dual overflow from Glass-Holes.com. It will have 2 1.5" pipes running to the sump. It is way more capacity than my return pump can handle (or my sump for that matter), but running below capacity, it will be very quiet. The second feed is in case a snail feels naughty and decides to clog something. I am considering plumbing both 1.5" drains to a 2" pipe and just running the one pipe to my sump, mostly to make the plumbing simpler. Anyone see a downside to this?

Lighting will be retros installed in the canopy. Will be 6 T5HO. electronic ballasts and standard hardware; the reflectors will be Aquactinic reflectors. better quality reflectors than Icecap. If this is not enough light (and I don't expect that), will switch out the ballasts for an Icecap 430 and 660 and go T5 VHO.

Two fans in the canopy, one blowing in, one pulling out.

That's what I have so far. With vortechs, will not have any pump motors inside the water generating heat.

I am pretty excited :D

fivel

That sounds really cool.... I have always considered this idea but just never got around to it - plus convincing my better half of another tank is trickier than I thought, lol. Stupid electric bills.

Best of luck man and keep us posted :)

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
As I have posted, I have changed my lighting as the ATIs fixtures are available. I ordered a 4x54w ATI Sunpower. Will go inside my canopy where it will be hidden. Will have to cut a hole in the top of the canopy to vent the fan, no problem. Its counter intuitive, but this 4 bulb fixture is better than the other 6 bulb fixtures out there. This is really a superior product.

Tip of the day - when using a top cooled T5 fixture, always put the label end of the bulb (the end with the manufacturers writing) on the end of the fixture nearest the fan. This happens to be the hotspot of the bulb and you will get maximum effect of your cooling

Blowing air across the bulb lengthwise is not nearly as effective on T5s. Just the way it works.

fishmama67

I am going to be following you with a lot of interest as this is the kind of thing I want to do as weel. By that I mean I want a regional reef tank from the Indo-Pacific for the simple reason I started with Blue-Green Chromis and that is where they are from. I also REALLY NEEDED a pair of clowns so, as you said, that's their home too.Anyway, I will be poking my nose in pretty regularly as I am interested in what CUC you are getting and especially the anemones, corals and so on. Send pictures when you get 'em, "K?
Thanks so much and best wishes with your fishes.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
Lights got here today and dropped them off at the LFS to get retrofitted into the canopy.

ATO system from autotopoff arrived to day too. Chiller should get here tomorrow. All I am missing is a heater :D

Went to the LFS and saw my tank - it was dropped off today. We agreed where to drill the holes - I am perfectly comfortable drilling my own holes, it is insanely easy, but for 10 bucks a hole might as well have the LFS do it.

getting a mixture of sand to make the substrate from.

okay guys, would like opinions. Should I go the bluespot jawfish route, and clowns, or should I go a pearly jawfish round, and maybe seahorses? Thoughts?

Will have a canopy so jumpers are welcome :D

Will post lots of pictures of the build.

BarbMazz

Blue spot jawfish! They will steal your heart. Such personality. I think you could have seahorses with a bsjf, they are quite peaceful.

Also, a tip about Tropic Marin salt mix.... if you order from Drs Foster & Smith, the shipping charges are very small.

I order Tropic Marin from them...the 200g bucket, and the shipping was only 12.99. You might want to give them a look-see and see if it would be just as reasonable to your area.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
BSJs have a higher threat level against seahorses than pearly jaws. Seahorse.org does not explain why. BSJs are in the risky category.

Will check on the salt. Really like Tropic Marin; but I can't be home for deliveries and hate to ask the poor girl in the office to lug that box to the back room. They don't allow UPS to leave it at the door.

BarbMazz

Huh. I wonder why about the bsjf. I'll ask panmanmatt, he is a freaking sea horse genius. I could've sworn he said they're okay to keep together. I could definitely be mistaken, though.

DFS delivers Fedex and they leave it at my door all the time. If I do happen to be home they'll even bring it inside for me. It's definitely worth checking out.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
Tomorrow my tank and stand get delivered. Very excited. Will be doing plumbing work tomorrow :)

Drilled the holes today. Really easy, but a stinky job. Two holes for the overflow, one for the return. I have all the pieces now - skimmer, lights, bulbs, pumps, chiller, heater, substrate, RO/DI

Did i say I was excited?

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
Well the tank was delivered yesterday, but much later than expected. Got it in the evening; it was expected in the morning.

No worries it is here and that is what matters

100_0622.jpg

It is an Oceanview, which is built nearby in Mississippi. Half inch glass all the way around. Drilling the holes was a PITA. No bracing. Very solid tank

The bottom of the stand is very open - easy to work and can fit a large sump easily

100_0616.jpg

The lights are installed in the canopy, an ATI T5 fixture. They are very bright. Hard to say how they will look until the tank is filled, but I am very happy so far

Tank7.jpg

That is just the 4 bulb fixture BTW.

Assembled the sump and put it in place. the glass panels cost $15. So 4 panels, a tube of silicone, and you have sump a heck of a lot cheaper than what you can buy a premade one for.

Sump6.jpg

Everything is blue as with no substrate, the light goes right through the floor of the tank.

Skimmer is in place too - a Reef Octopus DNWB 150 Recirculator. Pump goes to the chiller, then to the skimmer, and back to the sump. Will see how this works out. I know a lot of people don't like chillers, and I probably don't need one, but if you live in a place that's truly hot (like Arkansas), the day will come when the AC isn't working or something and that chiller will save me.

Skimmer9.jpg

The overflow is from glass-holes.com. This will flow 1500 GPH. Most reef ready tanks really have holes that are undersized, and the internal overflows take up a lot of room. The Glass Holes overflows are much sleeker. The plumbing is in the back of the tank where it is accessible. The quality is great, prices good. This is a really good product. You do have to drill holes, but unless you have tempered glass, its really easy. Don't be intimidated by it

Overflow3.jpg

Back-of-Tank.jpg

That's all I've accomplished this weekend. Still have some PVC to cut. Pretty pleased with how its coming together

BarbMazz

Excellent progress! I like all your choices, but I especially like the overflow.

How does the canopy open? I'm interested to see how the light fixture is mounted inside, if you don't mind?

Congratulations on getting all your Important Stuff. Just a few more widgets and you'll be ready for water, eh?

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
The front of the canopy simply flips up

Canopy1.jpg

There is plenty of room to work in the tank without removing the canopy

When I first installed the lights, I used the hanging mounts provided with the fixture

Light-Mount.jpg

It quickly became apparent that in a canopy this would be a huge PITA to swap out lights, so I chose plan B.

I cut a couple of pieces of 1x2 and fastened it to the side of the canopy with some wood screws, and laid the fixture on it

Light-Mount-2.jpg

They say you can lay the fixture across the tank itself - this will keep the lights about 3.5" above water level. Now, after I fill the tank I may find the water level below where I estimate, but I can adjust easily if need be. Not very elegant, but think it will work out. The wood lines up with the endcaps so I am not losing anything

What do you think?