clownfish troubles

HSLocal

The people that work at my LFS aren't the most knowledgeable so I figured asking here would probably generate some answers from more experienced people rather than just dumb looks. I'm sorry this post is so long.

I've had my "mated pair" black perc clowns for about 8 months now. I use the term mated pair loosely because they have yet to get along long enough to mate. I bought them from the LFS once I had what I believed to be a sabae anemone already established in the tank. Neither clown took to the anemone for a month and I traded it in and purchased a BTA which the female (the larger of the 2) took to right away. After a few months the BTA split and both ended up dieing due to what I believe were temperature fluctuations. So for the last 4 months there has been no anemone in my tank, nor do I wish to try that excursion again anytime soon. I do however have a large (5 heads) frogspawn that takes up the majority of the tank (14g) and a small fox coral that both clowns semi-host, if that makes sense.

The point of this post is that after 8 months these clowns still do not seem to be getting along. The larger of the 2 (2x the size of the smaller) has rarely stop picking on the smaller. The picking does not seem that harmless since I will notice from time to time that the smaller (male) has pieces missing from his fins. I've read that she is trying to establish dominance and the aggressive behavior will stop if he gives into her, but when is enough enough? He hides from her the majority of the day and at nighttime when both fish are asleep they are usually sleeping together. At times I notice them sort of vibrating at one another which I've come to believe is part of the mating process. I keep saying to myself "wait and see what happens" but since it has been 8 months I've about given up hope. Should I take her back to the LFS and just keep the male? Or maybe my tank is too small for these 2 to get along successfully...

Also my tank is very well established (>4 years now) this is just a new project.

nos2074

I am by far no expert it seems to me that part of your problem may be to the size of your tank. I think that a 14g is too small, size rec for that fish I believe is min 20g ( if I remember right, but it could be 30g ) for one and you have 2. Don't know if this helps you any but maybe its a start

HSLocal

I agree with you completely, I had a feeling the size was going to be a problem. I think the min size for one is 30g but I obviously am no expert either. I've already made up my mind about bringing them back to the LFS for a trade. Thank you very much Dion

keithrett

I kept my pair of false percula clowns in my 12 gallon for a long time, they fought a lot within the first few months to the point where the male looked pretty beaten but after a month or two of fighting they paired up. They are now in my 30 gallon tank where they began spawning last December. I hope you can solve your problem, best of luck.

Trademark

Breeders spawn these fish all the time in 10 gal tanks, so from my perspective its not the size its just the fish ,,, if you are set on a pair that will breed find a new male instead of female , it takes a longer time to have a mature female than male , JM2C

nos2074

Breeders spawn these fish all the time in 10 gal tanks, so from my perspective its not the size its just the fish ,,, if you are set on a pair that will breed find a new male instead of female , it takes a longer time to have a mature female than male , JM2C

jus cause a breeder does it to make money dosen't mean it's healthy for the fish.........

Paragon

I think his point is rather that if the fish will breed in a 10g tank it means that it is possible and repeatable. The question of whether the tank size is ideal and healthy is somewhat different.

The only thing I can add is that I understand in some cases a significant drop in salt levels can induce species, including clown, fish to bread. Unfortunately, I am not certain how fast and how low that it is safe to drop the level.

Para

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Regardless of "if someone else is able to make it happen" after 8 months and still not getting along it's not going to happen here. It's not healthy for this to go on so long. I have 1 in a 12g and she wont let any other fish (or my hand) into the tank.

I'd say it's "tight" for 2 regardless so I'd resolve that first and foremost.

Good luck!
Allen

lkbart

Our clowns did not start laying eggs for over a year - around 15 months. In a 55g tank. I'd agree with above posts - a 12 gallon seems kinda small. Gotta remember that in breeder tanks, there is not much in the tank besides something for the fish to lay eggs on - doesn't sound like that's the case here.