Clown Question + pics

Eduardo

Hi Guys,
Help me identify the clowns I bought on Thursday. Sorry for the picture quality.
In one of the pictures you can actually see a crab attacking one of the clowns. I already got rid of the crabs.
For some reason the clowns are not eating. I give them flakes and pellets, all they do is byte at the food but spit it out immediately.
Relevant facts:
Bought them on Thursday night
They did eat flakes at the LFS
Thursday night: very very active swimming, back and forth, not sleeping
Friday: not eating, less active, still swimming back and forth, I don’t think they sleep either,
Saturday: biting and spiting the food, active swimming, checking out each little crack in the LR, one of the clowns actually stud still during the night, the other keep swimming
Is this behavior normal? What can I do to make them eat flakes/pellets? Are they eating algae from the LR? Thanks
Regards,
Eduardo

Attachments

• clown1.jpg
    clown1.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 56
  • clown2.jpg
    clown2.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 56
  • clown3.zip
    15.2 KB · Views: 2
  • crab.zip
    16.3 KB · Views: 5

corrado007

Hi Eduardo,
It looks to me like your clown is an Ocellaris (false Percula) but they look pretty much identical to the actual Percula clowns. I've got a pair of Ocellaris and they kind of go sideways at night bobbing around near the top of the tank next to the overflow when the lights are out. They are very active fish during the day, swimming back and forth checking out everything in the tank. I'm pretty sure they don't eat algae. If you can't get them to eat flake or pellet yet you should try some frozen Mysis or something to that effect just to get them to eat. If you get them to eat that you can later feed other types of food at the same time and they should take to it. Clowns are very hardy fish and usually are not picky eaters.
Are your water parameters good? Are there other fish in the tank intimidating them (aggressive eaters)? How big is your tank?

Justin

lcstorc

My clowns eat anything including my finger. Just try a variety of foods and they will get hungry and eat one of them. You can also try soaking the food in garlic. That often produces a feeding response.

Hi Eduardo,
Your clowns look like they are Ocelaris (False Percula) as Justin said.
That is what we have as well and ours did exactly what yours did.
I got worried at first as we just had the one. He did exactly the same sort of thing, just alot of floating around, not eating and hanging out in the back top corner of the tank by the heater for days.
We ended up buying a second a week later and it was as different as night and day. They just need some time to adjust.
We feed ours flake food and they go nuts for it, however if you want to see a clown possessed, feed it some frozen shrimp...what out, that is a riot. :)
I wouldn't worry about them too much just yet as they are probably getting used to their new surroundings. They are a very hardy fish, however depending on the ones you have they are also very tempermental initially mood wise I have found.
Good Luck and keep us posted!

Eduardo

Hi Guys,
My tank is 15G, the water parameters are all OK. These two clowns are the only fish in the tank. The tank has been cycling for 3 months. I plan to test every two days the water parameters to make sure the bio load is ok for my setup.
Regarding the garlic trick, should I get fresh garlic and rub the flakes with it?
Regarding the frozen shrimp, should I get a piece of the frozen shrimp and throw it into the tank?
Excuse my ignorance I am new to this hobby, and I really appreciate all your comments and advices
Regards,
Eduardo from Venezuela

Jeremy0322

I used frozen Mysis and use Kents Garlic Extreme. It is cheaper than real garlic and easier to use. My clown(Ocellaris A.K.A- False Percula) loves it and goes nuts when I feed. Mine also sleeps almost vertical at the top of the tank right behind a powerhead, weird and interesting little fish.