Cloudy tank

reefguy

So this morning I got up and my tank was a little cloudy.. Any reason that could happen? Params are fine.

I do a WC when I come back from work.

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
what color is the cloudy water? if its green/red its diatoms. If its white/grey it could be sand suspended. It will calm down on its own if its sand. If its diatoms, water changes, increased filtration and beefing up your CUC can take care of it. If thats not possible, do water changes, it'll disapate on its own.

If you are just setting up a new tank, the sand can release dust into the water, which clouds it. When cloudy water becomes an issue, i've used a couple tricks. A power filter with floss/carbon can take care of it quickly. Canistar filters will too. If those arent an option, take a pair of pany hose, cut off 4-5 inches of the end, fill that with synthetic pillow stuffing, and tie that over your returns for a couple days. THat trick works well and setup cost is less than 3 bucks.

reefguy

The tank has been up an running for a year. It's not dio it's a white color. I just looks like sand is suspended in the water but just kind of weird cause I did nothing to it. Ill do a WC when I get home to just be on the safe side.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Could beca massive snail or clam spawn. Carbon is best right now

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
best bet is some sort of floss or floss+Carbon filtration. A HOB Powerfilter works well for me to solve clouding issues. I've saved a few from FW days. Or covering your returns with pantyhose filled with synthetic pillow stuffing. Either/both will help.

reefguy

best bet is some sort of floss or floss+Carbon filtration. A HOB Powerfilter works well for me to solve clouding issues. I've saved a few from FW days. Or covering your returns with pantyhose filled with synthetic pillow stuffing. Either/both will help.

I toss one on when I get home if it has not cleared up.

Anupam

I am a novice but my hands are itching to be of some help.I could be wrong but I am desperate.

Since you say your tank is an year old and you havnt had any stirring of the substrate,then it could be a misty white bacterial bloom.they feed on nitrate and phosphate food for algae.a good flow to blow them about and a good skimmer to skim them out.

Other possibilities ?am not sure.

reefguy

I am a novice but my hands are itching to be of some help.I could be wrong but I am desperate.

Since you say your tank is an year old and you havnt had any stirring of the substrate,then it could be a misty white bacterial bloom.they feed on nitrate and phosphate food for algae.a good flow to blow them about and a good skimmer to skim them out.

Other possibilities ?am not sure.

One thing I have learned is not to rule anything out till I am sure it's not the case. So it's possible but I have 0 phos and nitrates.

Though the more I think.. Could the fact that it's very humid in my hood add to the possibility of a bacteria bloom?

Is this bacteria harmful to my tank if so?

reefguy

I'm going to agree. Everything is nice and pretty now
esugube4.jpg

Anupam

thats so good to here !
hope it doesnt return.

this bacteria bloom thing isnt harmful.infact skiming pulls them out along with nitrates n phos in their guts,thus eliminating micro algae blooms.

before relaxing,do make a thorough investigation about it.
cheers !