Cleaner Shrimp

Is it a 50/50 chance that, my fish will goto the skunk to b cleaned, so far the only 1 that will go near it, is the coral beauty, TIA

Glenn

Curtswearing

Cleaner shrimp usually set up a cleaning station somewhere in the tank. If a fish feels it needs to be cleaned, it will go to it. Some fish like to be cleaned even if it isn't necessary.

He has a station set up, the coral beauty is always there, must b a female, the tang will go over but will swim away once it comes near, the clowns dont pay no attention, unless it has food....lol

rkplucker

Mine doesn't clean anything! Just sits in the corner and jumps around when food is in the tank. I think it's hit or miss....

nigle

Oi!

Instincts are one thing, but if the fish has no knowledge of 'what to do' they won't. I have them and I had an outbreak of ICH and I didn't 'see' any cleaning, but I wasn't there all the time, I think rkplucker is correct it's hit or miss.

Great shrimp though, mine are getting big 'eating' something?

Cheers!
nigle
!~!

hopefully the fish will learn, he was riding the tang a little bit ago, trying to clean, needless to say he got thrown, was cool tho. Thanks rkplucker and nigle

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I have had many clownfish and they never allowed the cleaner shrimp to go near them, but my Tangs and Dwarf Angels and Anthias lined up to be cleaned. There was times when my pair of watchman allowed the shrimp to clean them and other times they would open their mouths and almost swallow him whole. So my point is some fish like it some don't.

mps9506

I was watching my buddies cleaner shrimp. Apparently none of his fish like to be cleaned. But his particular shrimp are very pushy, they will sit on a ledge and when a fish swims by they do a kamikazee attack on the poor unsuspecting fish. As soon as they latch on, the fish shoot half way across the aquarium trying to escape the cleaning of the shrimp. Apparently the fish think they are already clean enough :D
Mike

Brucey

mps . . . . very funny. I've seen that too but only on the larger fishes. I've never seen a clown go near a cleaner. Then I introduced a bird mouth wrasse and he just ate all the cleaners anyway. No more cleaning i guess . . . except in his stomach.
Brucey

My tang still aint to sure about it, hopefully the clowns, wont pic on it like they do the hermits, they like to watch them roll down down the rock, with a little help...lol, thanks all

mps9506

Originally posted by Brucey
mps . . . . very funny. I've seen that too but only on the larger fishes. I've never seen a clown go near a cleaner. Then I introduced a bird mouth wrasse and he just ate all the cleaners anyway. No more cleaning i guess . . . except in his stomach.
Brucey
Dang, you should have just added a little more fiber to the wrasses diet, or maybe some prune juice. That would have cleaned him right out :D
Mike