Cleaner Shrimp vs Duncan Coral

Lonestar

I have a variety of coral in my reef tank that have matured along with the tank, but then I recently introduced a cleaner shrimp (my wife said the clowns needed a companion) and the shrimp constantly irritates the Duncans, causing them to retract. I've attempted target feeding the shrimp in another area of the tank but he/she/it still pesters the Duncans. At first, the coral would reopen soon after the shrimp moved off, but now the heads are staying somewhat closed. Will this eventually kill the Duncans? I want to oust the shrimp, but my better half says NO. Any advise?

Lonestar

Moved the Duncans once, but the shrimp still bothers it. I could be wrong, but it appears the shrimp is foraging food right out of the Duncans mouths.....and that shrimp is well fed. The shrimp bothers the pagodas and daisy polyps somewhat, and they quickly recover, but the poor Duncans seem victimized.

Uslanja

Looks like you have two choices; move the duncan to another tank or move the shrimp. We've had peppermints destroy an acan with a vengeance but didn't touch anything else. It could be that something is wrong with the duncan but we'd try moving the shrimp first.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes!

Dave & Tracy

Reef Wall

I know it has been a while since any one has posted in this thread but I have noticed the same thing with my cleaner shrimp and Duncan. The shrimp is annoying the Duncan to death. When I feed the Duncan the shrimp always tries to steel food before they close up completely. Maybe this is why the shrimp is always picking at it? The shrimp does not bother any of the other corals.

MSA ALR

try feeding frozen cylopeeze. They are big enough for the cleaner and duncans. Individual cylopeeze are small but they very high in protein. It doesn't take long for any of them too eat.

IMO, Duncans are fine with just eating off of the water column. Target feeding is beneficial but the duncans has long enough polyps to make it unnecessary. Make sure you have some nice, soft, alternating flow around these guys.