Clams from the market???????????

WVUReefer

Ok I have a question....
There is a trend going around my area of people using live clams (don't really no what species) from the local fish market as filter feeders. The clams are placed in the sand bed. They claim that they have a serious nitrate reduction after initiating these clams into there system. Has anyone else heard of this, or possibly even tried this. If so, I would like all the info possible to make an informed decision as to whether this is a viable option or not..

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
there was another thread that mentioned this practice recently, I would also like to hear more on the subject.

livebait

I cant say if they help with nitrates but when I bought my garf grunge there was a huge (size of my fist) clam in with it. I put it in my fuge with no ill effects to my system.

BobBursek

I read it, and some of the clams if they are from cooler/cold water do not live to long and have to be removed from the tank when they die unless like me you have some lobsters or large shrimp to eat them. Do a search because it was just a few days ago I read it but it might not have been here at RC.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
A lot of clams at the supermarket are more or less locally caught, and not tropical species. Most of us have tropical reefs. So as has been mentioned, will like cooler tanks.

Clams are not the way to go for nitrate control IMHO. Water changes, DSB, and a good refugium will be more beneficial. Oh yeah. A quality skimmer.

CazK

Yea I'm the one who uses them from the market. They work out great...didnt even intend for them to start as a filter for the tank. Word of warning they are a gamble about how long they last, but so far mine normally last about 8-12 months before something gets to them. Just make sure when you put them in to give them about 1-3 hours to defrost and bury...if they arent opening up and digging by then pull them out and eat them.