clam growth

tommyp

I have a hippo clam that doesn't seem to be growing all that much. A friend has a tank with a calcium reactor and it seems like his hippo clams grow much faster. I was using b-ionic to keep my calcium levels up and now i drip kalk.

What are some calcium/suppliment strategies to get clams to grow?
Is a calcium reactor he best way to go or is all calcium equal?

Tom

Pro_builder

A calcium reactor adds more than just Calcium, it dissolves all the coral skeleton, so anything that a coral absorbs and displaces in its skeleton, will be put back into the tank water by the Ca Reactor.
I am yet to set mine up, but will be soon. I have been told that this is the best way to keep them growing well.

tommyp

Thanks Pro

My tank doesn't have a big calcium draw since it is mostly lps/softies so I haven't looked into a calcium reactor. If it doesn't grow well with the kalk I will have to start building!

Tom

Barry N.

Sponsor
I have a hippo clam that doesn't seem to be growing

Good question Tom,

H. Hippopus do grow fairly fast but also will such out a lot of ca. Try to maintain ca. above 400ppm + b-ionic IMO is a good product, use to use it before going with reators.

Witfull

what kind of lighting do you have, even thou the hippos are considered a low light clam, any light we have on our tanks dont come close to natural sunlight.

i beleive every clam would love to have MH.

mikej11

Wow Casey. Those are some nice clams. Different sizes and colors. Great for show pieces. Do you always keep them up front or do you spread them out?

Micahel J

tommyp

I am boosting calcium as we speak it was in the 400-420 range. I will shoot for 450.

I had the clam almost directly under my iwasaki 250 but it moved it self to the end of the tank under less direct light. Tank is a 36" 65g AGA so it is a bit tall 24" I believe. The 250 should be enough right?

I will see how the calcium boost encourages growth

Thanks

Tom