Choff's RSM 650 Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Choff

Just found the RSM build vid's. Looks like it is by design. I swapped out batteries on my drill and I'm sailing...will post picts later tonight or when I need a break.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Awesome! Tropic isle gets some good stuff in if you can get past some of the unfriendly workers :)

Bet you can't wait to get it up and running! I should have my 120 wet by next week...... This is the fun part :)

Choff

Those screws are F'n awful. Not enough pressure and you strip em, too much and you twist the tops off. Out of the first 2 packs (100 screws) I stripped 12 and twisted the tops off 2. I was able to dremel most of them and re-use them on the top section where not as much pressure is needed. By my count they give you 5 extra. It's gonna be close...

2 hours to build a frame that should have taken 45 min. I did have a couple of 8 year olds "helping" actually, they kept me sane as I was stripping screw after screw.

Ya, Tropic Isle has been around for ever. Ellis knows his ****. I used to go there in the early 90's in my first go round with Salt.

Anyway, just came up to check the vids rq pictures still coming.

Choff

Some picts from the night

Tank has arrived!

237.jpg

The monsta...

238.jpg

The goodies...

239.jpg

It has begun...

241.jpg

Little helper #1

244.jpg

245.jpg

Little helper #2 + worried onlooker wondering what in the heck just replaced her dog bed (little helper #3 not pictured)

248.jpg

249.jpg

for love of god the the frame is built...

250.jpg

Waiting for the inspector's approval..

251.jpg

Sump goes in

254.jpg

255.jpg

Look a stand!

256.jpg

257.jpg

258.jpg

259.jpg

Tomorrow, align the doors, put in the control panel, set up the lights, put in the GFCI, plumb the water change system and get the RODI going. Had to push having the lifting crew coming over until Thursday night to get the beast onto the stand. Picked up some tickets to the Bruins game Wednesday night. If all goes well should have the tank filled by Friday and I can start on my aquascaping. Also decided I am going to cycle with damsels. That will be a lot more fun for the kids than watching a bag of deli shrimp.

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
Nice work, you have achieved a lot in that time. I love the pics of the dog, looks like he has laser eyes LOL.

modulok

I hope those Buds weren't from your helpers.

Good progress so far. After the stand is built, its all fun stuff from there on. I do recommend filling the tank with tap water first (and run the system). I am glad I did. I would rather do a leak test with fresh water. Lots of little particles of debris and dust were cleaned out. It also gives you some time to play with the system before the real fun begins.

Choff

Hey thanks all. It really is big. I looked at my wife and said hmmm.....the 60" TV seems kind of small now.... (She walked out of the room).

Ripper yes other than my initial aggravation with the screws I am very happy with the quality of everything else. I did just read something in the back of the manual that didn't exactly make me happy though. It said the 650 stock pump can't handle a chiller inline, the 400 and 500 can. I'm assuming this means I need another pump should I choose to get one.

Anthony, there are dogs and there are boxers. :spinner: Georgia is our 3rd and she will be getting a brother in 6 months (I like pairs).

Modulok, I actually went straight to the Jack after dealing with the screws. I needed to slow down and shifted gears to BL. Love the idea of tap water for the first run. I was just looking at all the styro dust and other crap in the tank and was wondering how best to get it out. I also need to test my water change set up (once it's built).

We have lift off!

P4230279.jpg

I spent most of the day sistering the floor beneath the tank. That took a LOT longer than expected and was not very much fun. Didn't get anything else done. Going to grab dinner and then try to get the tank plumbed and maybe the electric panel in.

modulok

Looking at yours, I see something I need to do...put those cabinet doors on! I just left them off for the tap water fill. If you do the same thing, don't forget the ATO chamber. No other way to clean that section.

Choff

Thanks! Now that the tank is on top, I am even more jazzed up (if that is possible).

It is big, but it was 4" shorter than I thought it was going to be. I thought it was supposed to be 66" long (rechecked the docs its listed at 64), but the tank itself measures 62". The extra 2 must be from the bumpers that I have not put on yet. Not really a big deal, but I sistered an extra joist because of that 4".

It was very easy with 4, but I think 2 good sized guys could do it. The tank is 310 pounds and the tough part is the actual lift up to the tank stand. This is where 4 people really paid off. Having to raise it above waist high and then keep moving it across the top of the stand into alignment is where 2 might be a challenge. I saw no reason to risk it when I have plenty of friends in the neighborhood to help. The stand itself has a hard foam top and once on there it was pretty easy to microadjust to get it into final position.

Good point about the ATO. Last night before the guys came over to help was actually the first time I really looked closely at the tank and saw the ATO and how the drain and backup drain were set up. It's really a slick system.

Status
Not open for further replies.