Chiller pump sprayed 3 gal. out of top of tank

flier-x

My maxi-jet 1200 "fell" out of the tube (I suppose that **&&## hose clamp was not tight enough) that feeds the chiller. Since the output was pointed up, it proceeded to pump about 3 gallons of water out of the tank before it tilted in a different direction. As luck would have it, some of the salt water (who knows how much, perhaps 1/2 of it) ran into a heating vent on the floor (how much will that damage my furnace in the crawlspace under the house?), not to mention soaking part of the carpet. (about 1 or 2 square feet of carpet seems wet all the way through to the flooring - will I get mold?).

Ironically, I was just saying in our last weeks heat wave how having the chiller had removed stress from reef keeping. I suppose I should have kept my mouth shut.

It is interesting to note that my Remora AquaC is similarly driven by an upward pointing maxi-jet 1200. This has hung in their tightly for the last 5 months since I installed it.

So, the chiller is unplugged from the electricity, and I have not reconnected the chiller to the pump yet (How long can that sit with its system filled with water but not flowing), but the rest of the system is back up and running with 3 new gallons of water. (I needed to do a small water change anyway)

So, I now am at a crossroads:
my choices are:
1. Reconnect the chiller, ensuring all hose clamps are as tight as possible and resume enjoying my reef (with the fear of this happening again in the back of my head)

2. Go chiller-less, and stress out about those few days a year I get here that are just do darn hot (which will no doubt happen the week I'm out of town) (though even this way, I suppose my Remora skimmer is subject to the same risk)

3. Get rid of the whole system

4. convert it to freshwater.

So, the question is:
1. Does anybody have any iinsight into the carpet and heating duct issue?
2. Does anybody ahve insight into my chooses 1 through 4 above?

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
I would reconnect the chiller and make sure to tighten the clamp. I hate to say it, but this is a user error, not equipment failure. Use a pair of pliars to get a good tight clamp.

If your heating ducts are made from galvanized steel, they are usually coated with zinc and can withstand rusting, however, they generally rust at the seems. Salt attracts moisture and, as you know, causes rust. That's my limited knowledge. There are some heating/AC experts here, perhaps they will chime in.

flier-x

I know this was a user error.
The question is, assuming properly tightened hose clamps, how much should I worry about such an incident happening again.

Also, if there are any heating experts out there, what are possible results of the salt water possibly running down into the furnace? I suppose it could contaminate the blower unit?

Oy vey, this was my worst fear of aqurium keeping realized. I always had in the back of my head that a plumbing failure could be catostrophic. I like the idea of a tank with no external plumbing, but there was just no way to incorporate a chiller into such a plan.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Well I don't know where the experts are, but with a properly tightened clamp, I wouldn't expect this to happen again.

lcstorc

Well I would certainly go with one or two. Three and four are just not reasonable. :)
now you of course have me paranoid about my chiller but I believe it is run by pvc and an external pump. I'm going to have to go get a plumbing lesson now. LOL My husband loves to try to explain things he knows I will not understand like plumbing,

As far as the carpeting I would steam clean it a couple of times and use fans to dry it out completely.
Is there a way for you to get to the inside of the heating ducts? If so I would clean with fresh water or vinegar water again several times and use fans to be sure it is completely dry.
Really when you think about it 3 gallons is not all that much.
Oh and BTW do not ever say the worst has happened. It can always get much much worse.
Of course now you really have me paranoid about the AquaC that I have on order arriving tomorrow. I guess I should just be happy it is in the kitchen and the whole house is tile.

prow

yep i agree, use a nice tight clamp and hook it back up. use plyers to tighten. the MJ on the skimmer is less likely to disconnect because there is little resistance(causing pressure build up). the chiller i am sure creates some good resistance. for the carpet no big let it dry and vacuum rinse with fresh water and repeat as needed.