Changed pumps.Went with external.

brucewrs

I felt that there was not enough flow with the Rios and thought it was adding too much heat in the water.So I went with an external pump,Iwaki md30rlxt water pump.I noticed a big difference in water pressure.I also notice that the chiller does not stay on longer than 5 minutes. It is a very quiet pump.Here are some pics..

DSC_0016-1.jpg

DSC_0014-1.jpg

DSC_0018-1.jpg

RaysReef

Has been struck by the ban stick
It's all still nice n neat bruce. My internal maxijet1200 doesn't give off much heat.

I want to hide the vortech a bit, if possible ha ha. Maybe a bit further back.

So do you just use the temperature on your chiller or do you have a tank therm. as well?

tnwillia

Bruce... did you keep your skimmer plumbed the same route you used with your rio, using the right chamber and straight into the tank? Been looking at going external same way.

Thanks!

brucewrs

Bruce... did you keep your skimmer plumbed the same route you used with your rio, using the right chamber and straight into the tank? Been looking at going external same way.

Thanks!

Nothing in the right chamber now.I have a seperate pump running the skimmer in the sump and a seperate pump running the water from the sump into the main tank.... I cant do a closed loop system for my sump..I dont have it drilled out to put an external pump.

The external is just for the chiller.I have the return flow going thru the hole on the right side of the tank.

tnwillia

Brucewrs...... Question on your External operation, as built, have you had any problems with the flow/pump restarting if you pull power or have a failure? Just ordered your pump and they go to lots of trouble to say don't let it run dry. Have you tested this? Thanks!

brucewrs

Brucewrs...... Question on your External operation, as built, have you had any problems with the flow/pump restarting if you pull power or have a failure? Just ordered your pump and they go to lots of trouble to say don't let it run dry. Have you tested this? Thanks!

Tried it over and over with no problems.The water stays in the lines when the power goes off.I shut mine off all the time during feeding.Just make sure you turn the chiller off too.